Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Default Training/Socialization

Neither of my dogs has been well socialized before I got them. We don't have many people come to the house, so chances to do that here are limited. I let things get way out of control and Blue has tried to bite twice. I decided I needed some professional help so in January I did some private lessons with a dog trainer here. I've been really working with Blue and he's doing very well! We haven't gotten to the point of having people come up to us, but he can walk by strangers and even strange dogs without throwing a fit or trying to bite. I've been getting him out and about twice a day most days to work with him. Thankfully, a lot of people walk and walk their dogs in my neighborhood and the neighborhood park so just walking there are lots of opportunities to train.

Darby is another case! Darby acts like a fool barking and jumping around whenever he sees people/dogs/cars/bicycles. I've been so focussed on Blue that I haven't been working with Darby as much. Now that Blue is doing well, I'm working a lot with Darby. The hardest thing with Darby is that he's very quick to react. Blue was slower and it gave me more chance to distract him. As with most everything, Darby is a challenge.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

Reactive dogs are hard!!! when i think back to the literally YEARS of training I did with Alex to try to change that behaviour, which ultimately didn't work, I want to weep. I'm glad Blue is responding ...Darby just wants to be different . that it works.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Thanks

Reactive dogs are hard! Miller was reactive when I got him but he was an 18 month old dog and responded well. Darby and Blue are 10 years old and so are responding much slower. I'm just hoping to get them to the point that I can take them out in public and not have to worry about them lunging at everyone they see! I know its going to be a long slow process, but I figure I have the time. They are both showing progress so that encourages me.

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I have a success of sorts to announce! Last night Jim was outside mowing and the dogs were in the house. When he was done I let the dogs out and went to talk to him. Our neighbor was talking to him over the fence. In the past this was cause for complete hysteria in the dogs. Barking, jumping on the fence, growling, I'd have to chase them down to get them in the house, the whole nine yards. Last night, they both barked but when I called them into the house, Blue turned and came right to me. Darby was a bit slower But I was able to get them both in the house with a minimum of fuss!

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lotsadox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It sounds like you are doing a great job with them. When I look back over the years, I am so glad that I was blessed with non-aggressive dogs - because socialization training requires interacting with humans during my free time, and the older I get, the more energy it takes to go out and do that!!!

My doxies still would have benefited from more socialization, though. Cassie and Tristan because they were innately friendly and easygoing so it would have been fun for them, and Angel because she was shy. Sorry, puppers!!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel