Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Abel_Jon Guest

Exclamation Introducing cats and wieners together?

I am wondering if anyone knows the best way to introduce house cats and doxies together. It is very possible that Becca and I may have the opportunity to introduce our pets together. How should we go about it when that time comes? I am under the assumption that if I were to bring my cats to their domain then problems would inevitably occur. However, I believe if she were to bring her pups to my house, then they would not be in their territory and may get accustomed to knowing my cats. Eventually if all goes well we will live together in a new place, so hopefully they will know each other enough to live together peaceably. Does this make any sense? I would love to receive any info:pray:

Thanks

Have Heidi and Buddy been cat tested yet? I would think in the cat's environment or a neutral one. I personally would have my dogs on a leash so I could pull them back if they went after the cats.

Are your cat's declawed or can they defend themselves?

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Abel_Jon Guest

They have not been tested with my cats, and I am not sure they were tested with any cats. Hermione has her front paws declawed, and Simon has all his still intact. Thank you for the reply!

Thanks

Awww, Hermione? Great name!
    Helen and Charlie
    Please be his pup pal!

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Thanks

The only "test" they have been through is at my old appartment. The people below us had a cat that sat in the window where we walked by to take the dogs out. Heidi would try to "get it" through the window. She would get real mean, hackles up and snarl and growl. Buddy would just look at it and go about his buisness. I'm thinking Buddy would be the one who would get along w/ them better. I had two guinea pigs and he never paid them any mind. Heidi tried to eat them any chance she got...and must I remind you all about the poor wittle bunnies?? I"m SUPER worried about her and Abel's babies!!!!!!1
    Becca and always in my heart Heidi and Buddy

Thanks

Oh Hermione - Another Harry Potter fan????

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Have them on leashes and have a watter bottle handy. Also have a room set up with a baby gate so the kitty can get away if they feel like it. And yes it should be at Abels house.
    ~Shonda, Jackson, Daphne (Mitzi Moo, Dudley, Lily Bug, Buddy and Charlie see you my sweet pups on the Rainbow Bridge)

http://www.goodsearch.com Help CCDR raise funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!![/COLOR]

Jen Guest

Courtney has had this problem as I recall. Giving the cats their own room might be an idea. Tasha HATES kitties, like Heidi, hackles up, growling....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha's Mom
    Courtney has had this problem as I recall. Giving the cats their own room might be an idea.
    I was jut thinking that Courtney and Adam would be great to give you two some advice on introducing cats and weiners.
    Hoomom to Cricket ~ Red Smooth 'tweenie'

Thanks

We introduced Ollie to a cat by having the cat in a cat carrier and in a neutral environment. (and Ollie on a leash) Therefore, they could be in sniffing distance, and nobody could hurt anyone else and they would get the idea of eachother a little bit. And then they can have a "real" introduction the next time.

I almost would be more worried more about Simon accidentally hurting a pup versus the other way around as he has his claws. At least that is what we were worried about with Ollie because he is very curious.