Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

We live in a 3 storey Townhouse. We have Zoe (cat) in the basement.
    Zoe and Casey have no problems. We brought Casey into our home at 9 weeks old and Zoe was 10 yrs old. They never had a problem, other than Casey wanting to play with Zoe she just walked away and more or less said "Forget it!"

Sophie is the opposite! She went after Zoe right away! Took chunks of fur off her!

Zoe is safe and sound in the basement. Sophie doesn't do stairs anymore.

I can only suggest baby gating certain areas of the home before you bring the pupperz and kitties together. I don't know the lay out of your home but you can gate off the entrance area along with the kitchen and living room for the pups to be in and the kitties can be in the bedroom area and hallways.
    Both pupperz and kitties can see each other thru the baby gate.
    Then, Let the FUN begin! We want pics! :p:

Thanks

This could be really easy, or if you have our luck a disaster. Through the years I have had no problem with intro’s of cats and dogs that is until Trixie came along. She is still a challenge and we have had her for 2 years in June. You have received some great suggestions and I agree with them. Remember these types of introductions take time and lots of patience. I think the introduction should take place in your home, where the cats are most comfortable. First: Lock the cats in a room with some food/water, their bed and litter boxes. Then, Heidi and Buddy can get acquainted with their new surroundings. They can then check out all of the smells left by the cats without the distraction of the cats themselves. Don’t rush the kitties. Let them settle in at their own pace, which could take a week or more.

After everyone is comfortable I would baby gate the door so the cats can see the dogs while feeling safe. Hopefully neither animal will become overly excited during this process. If all of that goes smoothly, I would put the dogs on leads for control during their first face to face meeting. You might leave the gates up for a while so the cats have a sanctuary to flee to in case of trouble.

Note: If the dogs are not comfortable with the cats, it may take more time and patience on your part. Hopefully, eventually they will become friends or at least able to tolerate each other.

Good luck!
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Oh, I just read this thread, and I am afraid my advice isn't very good! Napoleon wants to play with the kitties and Molly and Tina say OH HELL NO and either run away or hiss. If they would just beat him up, I think he would leave them alone, but then again maybe not. At the first sight, sound or smell of kitty, Napoleon goes bonkers. If we EVER get another cat, and right now we won't and I am about ready to give these current cats away as it is (something that isn't going to happen of course - but I can dream), I would get a tough tomcat who would boss the dogs around. Our solution is that the cats have their own room (Adam's office) and there is always a baby gate on it. They jump in and out frequently and always seem to know when the dogs are locked away so they can come get love. I don't think they are too unhappy with the situation, though I know Tina would prefer to have her OWN room and not to share with her sister. The office has a couch, a chair, and lots of windows for squirrel watching. I know Molly will roam the house the instant the dogs are crated and probably explores during the day. The dogs are either with us (our dogs) or crated (fosters) at night and being nocturnal, the cats do exploring then as well. Lately Molly has become VERY vocal at night!!! But they are handling the move well I think. Tina hid for two days as she is known to do, but I have seen her a few times. Molly is just as laid back as usual.

Anyway, they probably won't be best friends, but it is possible for them to co exist in the same house! Just make sure the cats have safe areas.