Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question I need help please

Tonight is the second time in 4 days the while outside Dudley and Boomer have gotten into horrible fights. The first time I thought Dudley started it but now I'm not so sure. Here's what happened the first time. I was outside talking to a guy that was working in the church parking lot well Dudley is not friendly until he gets to know someone so he was doing his barking/growl routine. I usually tell him to be quiet but this time what I think happened was Dudley started going after Boomer. I had to grab Boomer by the tie out because he wouldn't let go of Dudley's ear/eye area. Dudley had a hold of Boomers leg. Dudley had cuts about his eye and on his ear.

But then tonight...

I was going to pick up Dudley because he wouldn't stop barking at the privacy fence and the mowing neighbor. Well I'm bending down to pick him up to bring him inside and in swoops Boomer going for Dudley's head again and Dudley goes for Booms legs. I had an awful time getting them apart and got bit in the process. This time I know it was totally Boomer but I want to know why he's doing this. Dud wasn't barking or anything at the time. In fact he knew he was in trouble and was laying on the ground.

What the hecks going on?
    Last edited by Frzframe; 05-08-2006 at 09:36 PM.
    ~Shonda, Jackson, Daphne (Mitzi Moo, Dudley, Lily Bug, Buddy and Charlie see you my sweet pups on the Rainbow Bridge)

http://www.goodsearch.com Help CCDR raise funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!![/COLOR]

Thanks

I'm no expert....but it sounds to me like this may be an alpha battle. The only thing I can suggest is to establish yourself as the alpha as is spelled out in books like "The Dog Listener" and even in Cesar Milan's new book. Also, Boomer is a foster, correct? When I have fosters I always make sure Bailey is fed first, gets more attention, sleeps in the big bed...just to let him and the fosters know their place in the pack. They aren't neglected by any means, but they know that Bailey is special.
    Linsey, Bailey, and Piper

Thanks

I wish I had advice for you. I like what Linsey suggested!!! When mine fight it is once and then not for months and months. Lots of rayz for your cut though.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

That's the thing I do all that and Dud is by no means the alpha.

I talked to my dad and told him what happened and he thought maybe Boomer was trying to protect me. :confused: I don't know but I do know it has to stop before someone gets really hurt including myself.
    ~Shonda, Jackson, Daphne (Mitzi Moo, Dudley, Lily Bug, Buddy and Charlie see you my sweet pups on the Rainbow Bridge)

http://www.goodsearch.com Help CCDR raise funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!![/COLOR]

Thanks

When Gretel was alive, the same problem existed between her and Trixie. In that case Trixie was the aggressor. Just like your Dudley & Boomer, our Trixie and Gretel engaged in some terrible fights. It finally escalated to the point Trixie was actually trying to kill Gretel. In desperation we contacted a certified dog behaviorist. In our case [because Gretel had terminal cancer] she recommended we keep our two dogs apart. Since Dudley & Boomer appear to be on that same downward path and their fights are becoming more frequent and deadly, I highly recommend you do the same. I don’t think your situation is going to get any better until you have a professional intervene.

A professional behaviorist deals with the most serious behavioral problems like aggression, fears, anxiety or compulsions. So please seriously consider consulting one as soon as possible.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

I am just wondering aloud....especially since this seems to have really gotten intense in the past few days.

Since bringing the cute new gal into your home.. (or it could be a coincidence)

Do they think the pecking order is out of balance in their minds (or perhaps just one of them), and there is opportunity for a reshuffle (or they merely feel threatened that there will be) or just do not know what to do. Not that she is challenging them overtly, but just for the fact that there is another dog in the house that didn't come with a manual telling her she must sit still and be content to be last in line.

I am really not surprised that you say Dudley is not the alpha.

When other dogs come to our house for a period of time, they all seem to know Alex is the alpha. He doens't challenge anyone because he doesn't have to. He sits back like The Godfather and surveys his territory/subjects. They roll over to him. It is Ollie as sweet as he is, who is afraid someone will knock him out of being dog number two that is more likely to get riled up.

Thanks

Man that's a tough one. I'm not behavior expert.......but I am good at sending :pray: your direction. I like what everyone has said so far, and wish you the best of luck sorting this out. I know you love all your puppers very much and I can only imagine what it's like having them fight.
    Tex, loyal servant to...

-----Julie----&------Jax------

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I haven't had too many problems since the days of Bandit and Pebbles getting into fights (usually over a chewie or bone), but it does sound like you might need professional help with this since it seems to be getting more serious. Other than keeping them separated which is a pain, I don't know what you can do. I do know that when I bring a new foster in, it can upset everyone. Good luck and please keep us posted.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Mitzi is the alpha in the house. Once in a while a foster will try to take her on but they never win. All she has to do is grumble at them and they back way off. Dudley on the other hand is aggressive when newbies come in. He thinks he has to show them he's the bed bad boy right off. I really think this is because of fear. He gets them before they can get him. It happens not only at the house but anywhere he meets new dogs. He did this both times he went to obedience classes. Usually he'll do that and then a hour later he's fine and wants to play.

Oh one other thing this only happens outside. Once they both are inside they are fine. I never let them out together unless I'm with them and when I'm not home everyone goes into their crates (well sometimes Mitzi and Dudley get sweet freedom but that's all).

Thanks

Mitzi sounds exactly like Alex. Doesn't mess with anyone, but the dogs know she can.

I don't know why Dudley is fixating on Boomer though....