Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default What will you do when the time comes....

and your beloved pet crosses the bridge.. Will you cremate and have the urn as a constant reminder, or will you bury them in a pet cemetary or in the backyard???

Gosh, I didn't think I would want to even think about this, for Heidi and Princess are just 1yr old, and I expect to have them hopefully for another 12-15 years....

However, I have been wondering what many people have done regarding the remains of their pets that have crossed the bridge already..

I am seriously thinking that when that time comes, I will want to have a special urn to keep their ashes with me wherever I end up going..

What have some of you done.......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I have lost 3 dogs in the last 5 years. We had them all cremated and the urns are on a shelf in my study along with their collars with their names on them and pictures of them. When Pebbles died (she was the first I lost) I had a copy of the "Bridge" poem made with a red dachsie on it and her name and dates. That is also on the shelf.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Several years ago I lost three major pets in two months. We had all three buried in a pet cemetary not far from our home. The two dogs together and the cat separate as you couldn't bury cats and dogs together. :wtf: They promised they would be there forever or until they built a business park over them. GRRRRRRRRRRRR I now have a collection of cedar boxes. I have all of my pets cremated and I have returned to me in a box that is sealed. Some places get fancy with a name plate, one place included a pawprint of my kittie. I didn't ask if it was her paw or just off the shelf. That is what I will do for all my pets. Well, except the hamsters as I couldn't justify the price even though I loved them like I had them for more than their short little lives allowed. Susie:duh:

Thanks

When my Caillou passed away at 3 years old, we had her cremated and have a wooden urn with her photo on it. That way I can bring her wherever I go. Makes me feel a little better...

Thanks

Well as much as I want them to just dig a hole for me beside her, she will most likely be cremated, and stay with me, I hate to think of it too, but anything can happen as horrible as it sounds, and you never know if you bury them somewhere if you will always be in that location even though there is a very nice pet cemetary less than a mile from us now, I probally won't live here when that time comes...... :pray:
    Jennifer:cucum: & Molly!! :rpaw:
    Throw Molly a bone:
    http://www.dogster.com/?196799
    My Space:http://www.myspace.com/jherron1278

Click the link below to keep up with DLC's 1st Hooman kid:
    http://www.babysites.com/sites/jherron1278/

Thanks

My Snuggles is on my nightstand in her urn. I will never bury another pup. they will be cremated and stay with me. I used to take care of elderly people in their homes and I was very surprised at the number of them that had urns with pet remains. Most of them said that their pups ashes would be buried with them when the time came. Now - I had one lady, honest to god - who, when her husband died had him cremated. His ashes were in this big crock she had on her fireplace hearth. When the dogs would pass over she would have them cremated and then mix their ashes in with his.

I didn't know he was in the crock! I was dusting one day and she told me not to dust the crock on the fireplace. When I asked why she explained. I almost :faint:! She said when she died she wanted to be mixed in with them and their ashes were to be spread in the back yard.

She died from breast cancer about 6 months later and her best friend carried out her wishes down to using the old wooden spoon she had used to mix everyone else together.

They were young and childless, He died at age 42 from a stroke. She followed at age 53. I miss her to this day. But I love telling that story.

Thanks

My dad burried Emily between the natural bird bath he built and the lily pond. He placed her on a pillow facing her toward the house with an old JB Hunt shirt over her so dirt wouldn't get in her eyes. He placed two large rocks over the ground so nothing could dig her up. She was after all his "yard dog" and that is where he felt she needed to be. :(
    ~Shonda, Jackson, Daphne (Mitzi Moo, Dudley, Lily Bug, Buddy and Charlie see you my sweet pups on the Rainbow Bridge)

http://www.goodsearch.com Help CCDR raise funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!![/COLOR]

Thanks

All my pets go to a beautiful pet cemetery about 60 miles north of us. They are cremated and their cremains scattered in the St. Francis Assisi garden.

We live on a ranch and over the years, in addition to our own pets passing away well into their senior years, we have rescued and taken in every stray and feral that has come our way (our own little retirement community). As a result, even though I would like to have had urns or cedar boxes for each of them, because of the number of animals involved it was not feasible.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Default I guess I am the exception...

Mom and I had our cockers Shelly and Amber cremated and DH and I did the same with Tristan, and we did not keep the ashes. I hope no one thinks that is awful. They are always with us in our memories and hearts, and I have pictures of all of them out.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

Those are some really sweet and sad stories, My Aunt and Uncle have the remains of their two Afghan hounds in urns in the hallway of their home right by the bedroom, they have a little memorial there for them, with their collars and I always thought that was so special..

Thanks so much for sharing..