Thread: Home schooling

Thanks

Default Home schooling

Some of you might remember me talking about Buddy and his puppy classes a couple years ago. He failed MISERABLY...the only thing he ever got out of it was sit with the command and occasionally down w/ the command. Well, I have been working with him a lot lately and he has gotten so much better!! He now will "stay" if I put him in sit and take a step out and turn around and face him. I can actually take about 6 steps back and he will still stay. He has gotten better with "down" all though he still doesn't quite get it all the time. He still doesnt come when I call him, but we are working on it. We took our classes at Petsmart so the command is "target". If I have the treat between my fingers, put him in sit and stay, and hold step back a few steps and hold the treat out and say target, he will come and nose my hand. That's a HUGE step for us so I think getting him to come when I ask is not too far behind!! I just had to share the progress becasue I am one proud Mutter today :piano:
    Becca and always in my heart Heidi and Buddy

Thanks

YAY! Buddy! :banana: You made Mudder so proud!:hearts:

Casey and Sophie do so much better at home than in class.
    Next Tuesday will be Sophie's last Training class. We will take Casey with us.

I still give them 30 minutes alone training time with me every night.

I enjoy it!

Keep up the Good Work Buddy! :wave2:

Thanks

wtg Becca and Buddy! :couch:
    PUPPEN DEWEY

Thanks

:banana: :banana: :banana: woohoo for Buddy and his mutter!

it's always easier to train at home, because they are familiar with the surrounding. gigi is the same way... things she would do at home does NOT guarentee the same result when we are elsewhere. UNLESS i have cheese or some super yummy treats, then she is all mine.
    Jen & Gigi

Jen Guest

:banana: :banana: :banana: Buddy and Mutter. Excellent work.

Tasha had a hard time in class as she was scared of the other dogs...and probably the trainers too. We've done well on our own, using the techniques learned in class. She's one of those dogs who'd do best with a one on one trainer session. But at $100 and up per lesson in NYC, I simply cannot afford it. :(

Nancy Guest

Excellent work Becca and Buddy!

Question: How long (time wise) do you and Buddy train for?

Thanks

:banana: :banana: Hooray Buddy! You are such a good boy!!
    Weenie & Cricket & Annie & Me (Amy)

Thanks

Thumbs up Hip, Hip...Hooray!!!!

You go, Becca and Buddy :angel7: !!!!!!! :party5:

It's so great to hear that he has come further with his mama than with the trainers at PetSmart! Dat meanses dat he wubs his mamas veby muchs so's he cans pweases hers and makeses hers smiles so bigs.:D :happy5:

Hugses, mamas!!!!! :happy1:

Seriously, Becca, that is just wonderful news and with gentle, persistant work anything can be accomplished. You done great, my dear, and so has your baby boy!
    mary, isobel, L J, sara peanut "butters", noah (all lh red-ish dachsies); quincy and sophie (pit bulls); duncan (lab/shep/chow); kasey (aussie shep/collie) and maia: aka...Po (mastiff)

Thanks

Sounds like your doing a good job. The Whole Dog Journal (Dec 2005) had a great article on teaching your dog perfect recalls, possibly they might have it at the library.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)