Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Ryan's vet visit

We went in for Ryan's yearly vet visit today. The vet was very pleased with her over-all health for a SEVENTEEN year old! He did a full panel for her and found that she has cushings! He doesn't think we should treat her, given her age, and it's a fairly new problem with her. It didn't show up last year. Her kidneys and liver look fine. He said I should put her on Science diet perscription for her ear infections. I don't really want to go that route, so can anyone reccommend the same type of food but like Nutro or something like that?

Dr. Boyette says that with cushings, we can expect her to live 2-4 more years. We're going to make them GOOD ones.

Please keep her in your prayers, even though she's not feeling bad now.

Thanks!

Thanks

17!! :faint: That's pretty danged awesome for any dog! It's truly a testament to good mommying.
    No advice here on the food. I think Nutro Max only has sensitive stomach food and joint food as far as medical ailment foods go.

Thanks

They make a food supposedly for ear infections!?! Christ almighty!!!

I think it is probably an "allergen-free" food with limited ingredients or a novel protein. Those are pretty common. Wellness Simple Solutions would be a good one, or Natural Balance Duck and Potato or something. check out www.dogaware.com for recommendations.

Is it Science Diet d/d? Umm you are good to not want to feed that - it is a rice and EGG food! First of all, where's the meat? Second, egg is a pretty common allergen!! AND it has Ethoxyquin. Sheez louise!!

Yeah, I'd go with the Wellness SS, or duck and potato/venison and potato food.

Thanks

Oh wow 17! Sorry to hear about her having Cushings. :( Glad she is doing so well now and nope I've never heard of changing ones food for ear infections. :confused:
    ~Shonda, Jackson, Daphne (Mitzi Moo, Dudley, Lily Bug, Buddy and Charlie see you my sweet pups on the Rainbow Bridge)

http://www.goodsearch.com Help CCDR raise funds. Put Coast To Coast Dachshund Rescue in the "Who do you Goodsearch for" box and hit verify. Then search away!![/COLOR]

Thanks

Maybe something with ....CORN in it, cause you know corn has EARS :banana:

where's that darn groan smilie?

Thanks

Talking

Way to go Ryan!!! 17 and still truckin'!!! So sorry to hear about the cushings....but I just KNOW she will have all the and s and treats that any pupper could ever want!!!!
    Tex, loyal servant to...

-----Julie----&------Jax------

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Otto'sMom
    Maybe something with ....CORN in it, cause you know corn has EARS :banana:

where's that darn groan smilie?

BWAAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAAA

:krazy: :krazy: :krazy: :krazy: :krazy: :krazy:

Thanks

to you Tonya! about Ryan's cushings, but wow, what an amazing age and it's totally cool about her overall health. Here's :pray: that her last few years are good and as pain free as possible.
    Lee Anne, Ruckus, Rowdie, Greyson, & Cayenne
    Foster Buds Always in Our :hearts: : Zipper, Tyrone, Gracie, Rosie, Tommy, Froggy, Hunter, Lowla, & Vader
    www.2ndChanceDoxie.com

Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution. ~ Kahlil Gibran

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 658 Posts

:wow: 17 years!!! Now that's good parenting! We thought Alex was borderline cushinoid for years (what hasn't that dog had!?!), and just treated it with diet (yes, Science Diet l/d, sorry!) but after I'd moved to Ottawa and had the &*&% horrid vet to deal with, Laura went to a conference and came back with some new findings that the type of cancer she had can sometimes mimic Cushings symptoms and blood levels. No, don't panic!!! I'm sure Ryan is just fine!! Just thought it was interesting, cuz Cushings apparently can often be misdiagnosed, especially if you just do the bloodwork and not the other tests.
    Paula & Buster
    & my s Maxe, Alex, Wendal, Jules & James, Patti, Ferkel and Heidi,

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can."

Jen Guest

Wow, she's 17! Terrific! And heart, kidneys and liver ok, well, that's great. I agree with Courtney that Wellness Simple Solutions or the NB Potato and Duck are probably good foods Tasha did very well on the Wellness SS.