Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot weather

Thanks

Default Hot weather

How do you keep your pup comfy? Sometimes I think Gigi is a bit :duh: The other morning when I let her out, she came out from INSIDE her blankie! It was like 80 degrees! And when she lays on her bunbed, I put my fan in front of her, so she can enjoy the warm breeze (everything is warm in the house. eek!)... NOPE, the princess walks away and proceed to lay on top of my comforter or just sit on my laps. I was trying to make her comfy, but she is doing things the other way. lol.
    Jen & Gigi

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Mine think that anything under 80 degrees is a major cold front! :freezing: Bogart and Miller spend all day under the down comforter! I just let them do whatever they're comfortable with!
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

As long as she is acting comfortable and drinking enough water I wouldn't worry.

Now, if she starts to find the coldest places and lays there panting...then put the fan on her.
    Linsey, Bailey, and Piper

Thanks

After my shower last nite, I found the Gi IN my comforter!
    Jen & Gigi

1199 N. Terry Street, #344, Eugene, Oregon 97402
    Thanks

I think comforters act like insulation to the dogs (like the hair on long haired dachsies) and helps to keep them cool. Rikka is mutch better at regulating her body temp than the two smooth boys.

BUT ... I still had a problem with Rikka and Oscar who went out exploring through the woods the other day (Saturday when it was 105 degrees outside). I had to go find them and they were both having problems with heat exhuastion. I had to put them in the bath and run cool water over them for about 1/2 an hour before they stopped panting. This was scary. Even with water outside and being in the woods, it was still TOO HOT for the hot dogs. They don't get to go outside anymore when the temp is above 90!!!
    Oscar 05/01/2000 - 12/05/12
    Otto 02/29/2000 - 05/12/2010
    Rikka 07/11/2004 - 06/18/2013
    Axel 03/31/2009
    Diablo RIP Evil Kitty
    Rudi 11/06/2017

Thanks

Gi sounds like she doing all the normal things dogs do when it's hot. I wouldn't worry about her unless she has excessive panting, rapid heartbeat, vomiting, pale gums or eyes get get a glassy look and a high temp. No exercising in the heat and make sure water is always available and she will be fine. I hope we have a break from this heat soon.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Sam HATES a fan blowing on him. Even the ceiling fan blowing on him makes him get under the quilt even when it is 90 degrees at midnight he is under the quilt. He's been doing that for years. Issy doesn't mind the breezes, but my angel Annie didn't like fans on her either. Stay cool everyone.
    Save the earth. It's the only planet with dachshunds...
    Susie:duh: , Sam and Issy

Thanks

I put on the ceiling fans, fill dishes with ice cubes (they love 'em)
    close all the doors so sun doesn' t warm the room too much.
    If it' s really hot I turn on the AC & the lounge inside the crates.
    ShadowReesee, Lil' Smokey and Sassy

Thanks

This is what I found after my shower last nite.

Jen & Gigi

Thanks

I thought that dogs didn't sweat... If it's really hot, and I see my puppers more lethargic than usual I wipe them down with a wet towel. Once at the dog park people were just pouring water over their puppers.

Pokey does burrow in warm weather, but if he's too hot he will just lie on top of the blankets.
    Adopt a Senior!

-Renée and Pokey (1992-2008)