Thread: Puppyhood

Thanks

Default Puppyhood

Petey is now 8 months old; when can I switch him from puppy food to adult?

He is eating Solid Gold puppy kibble right now, and I have a bag of Nutro Ultra puppy kibble to wean him onto next. The Solid Gold is way too hard to find out here in the boonies, and Petsmart carries the Nutro, so I thought I'd try a switch. He will eat ANYTHING, so the main food issue is his sensitive skin. He gets itchy and flaky on some foods, so that's what I have to watch for.

He is right at 10 lbs now, and I think he's probably finished growing except maybe for muscling up some more. He's getting those massive (compared to the rest of his little weenie body) dachsie shoulders and chest; last night he was strutting about the living room with half a bully stick hanging out of his mouth looking like Winston Churchill chewing on a stogie :duh:
    Tracey a/k/a Chief's Mom & Nitro's Mom

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth! -Anne Tyler

Thanks

At 8 months you can go ahead and start switching him to adult food if you want! shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

We weaned Bella after her 1st birthday but the vet had told us anywhere between 8 - 12 months.
    Kelli (Hoomom to Bella & Cooper)

Thanks

ITA Be sure to switch the foods gradually.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

8-9 months is about when we switched! Like Patt said, just do it gradually... for example 1/4 new food and 3/4 old for a few days, if tolerated try half and half... and so on

He might pick the old stuff out and just eat the new :lol: Sometimes they do that.
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

Yup! I agree! We were told 8 - 12 months by our Vet.

Make the switch gradually.

I know what you mean about the massive chest. Casey has the biggest I have ever seen! He is all Chest!
    I think the girls like it too! :hearts1:

:welcome2: to Adulthood Petey! :blowkiss: :hearts:

Thanks

Hummmm.... I've always been told to switch at 6 mths It's better for their backs if their bones don't grow to fast.....
    Lee Anne weren't you told the same?
    I know Cami's Neurologist wanted her OFF puppy food at 6 mths...I have Cami on Solid Gold "Barking at the moon...she loves it!
    I LOVE Big Chests Jen's is really big too..... Poor Carlee doesn't have a doxie chest at all