Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Who Dat Nation
    Posts
    5,352
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default Did a stupid thing

    This morning I let the puppies out to potty and one tinkled on the back porch. I got the hose and some bleach and began to hose the whole back porch off. When the bleach came into contact with the urine, of course, it caused a chemical reaction that caused my eyes to water and nose to run. I also got small splashes of bleach on my shins, but washed that off immedeiatly. I had some burning on my legs where the spots landed, though. As soon as my eyes started watering, I came inside until I could go back out without smelling it to finish rinsing it off. I can't believe how stupid I was and just didn't think. I am so worried that I've caused some horrible harm to him. Ideas? Suggestions??

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Granby, MA
    Posts
    8,152
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 175 Times in 87 Posts

    Default

    If you went inside pretty quickly, you should be okay. Can your hubby or someone else rinse off the porch and get rid of the rest?

    Mom to Dachshunds: Pippit, IzzyBean and Calli

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Brampton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,926
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 42 Times in 23 Posts

    Default

    First of all I'm glad to hear you are safe and it was just a minor splash and the most important thing, it happened outdoors.

    Any Urine Human or Animal as you may have already found out, contains Ammonia and when you tried to clean it with bleach, you accidentally caused a chemical reaction which created Chloramine gas or Chlorine Gas, which by the way was used in World War I.

    Since you did this outside the breathing exposure was minimal and I'm glad you moved away from the fumes, which is what you should be doing. It becomes more dangerous indoors.

    So this ever happens to anyone else accidentally first thing is remove yourself away from the area. If its indoors, open all windows doors and to ventilate the gas.

    Especially when you are indoors, as
    you can become unconscious and it can be fatal.

    Now the safest way to clean the Urine Especially outside on your deck, is to simply Mix 50% Vinegar with 50% Water and it wont react like the Bleach did. This can work indoors on a carpet as well however it wont be as effective as an off the shelf Pet Stain/Odor Remover, these products contain enzymes to kill and clear the bacteria in Urine especial Pets that has that distinct smell.

    I would recommend from a safe distance to just run a spray of water from a hose and rinse off that area making sure there is not bleach/ammonia residue left.

    I hope this helps.

    ..POGO....PIXEL.....PíNUT....PEPSI

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,503
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Oh Tonya.....be very careful with cleaning products and bleach when in your condition.....I got very sick from bleach and other cleaning products when I was pregnant. You'll have to leave the heavy cleaning to someone else....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Jetersville, VA
    Posts
    210
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default safe cleaners

    Please all be careful with cleaners. They are sooo dangerous and can be absorbed thru the pads of the feet even much later when you think your floor dried. They can also out-gas even when capped and stored and cause cancer. I only use safe, non toxic cleaners now and can send anyone who is interested the link to shop safe and affordable. I also have a ton of info about birth defects and behavioral problems in children & animals associated with household cleaners.
    Bren & The Hounds of Harmony
    [IMG][/IMG]

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    7,775
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I am glad you are ok, please be careful next time! Just have hubby do all the heavy duty work. haha. Isn't that one of the "privileges" of being PG? :D
    Jen & Gigi


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Who Dat Nation
    Posts
    5,352
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Thanks everyone. I did some research on line- big mistake. By the time I got off the computer, I was in tears and nearly hyperventalating b/c I use normal house-hold cleaners daily. I was positive I was causing some horrible birth-defect to my child. I called Miguel in a state of sheer panic and he (chemical engineer) tried to calm me, but to no avail. I mean, after all, what would a chemical engineer know about chemicals?? LOL
    So I called my doctor, who of course is off today, and got the on-call doctor. She assured me that typical cleaning (ie not inhaling and keeping windows opened) would be just fine. She said my stress about the issue was 10x more dangerous to the baby than the chemicals are. Just in case, when I use any type of cleaner, I will use gloves and maybe even a mask. I know I'm being super parinoid, and that's not like me, but it's what I'm gonna do. I checked the cleaners I do have and all of them are phosphate and phosphours free. I rarely even use bleach, but will not be using it again. My doctor told me of a new clorox product that is safe to use around children and pets and she recommended it to me. I'm off to get some now.

    It's going to be a long 6.5 months.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    17,956
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts

    Default

    I'm glad you talked to the doctor....and that they recommended a good cleaning product. Hey, we all make mistakes and this one will be ok. Take a nap or read a good book, kick your feet up and relax-you deserve it!
    Tex, loyal servant to...

    -----Julie----&------Jax------

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, FL
    Posts
    17,870
    Thanks
    466
    Thanked 758 Times in 456 Posts

    Default

    Don't panic, Tonya! I agree with your doctor, I doubt any harm was done (except maybe to your emotional health :sad2: ). I am quite sure you're not the first woman who inhaled cleaning products while pregnant - you got away from the fumes quickly and you won't be doing it again

    I know not to mix ammonia and bleach cleaners, but I don't know that I would remember not to use bleach on urine, either! (I will now, though!)
    Kim & the Girls

    With me always, Cassie & Angel

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Homewood, IL.
    Posts
    1,917
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    :hearts: Tonya, I agree with everyone else, Please don't panic,, everything will be just fine and just follow doctor's orders,, the stress is worse for the developing baby, so just be calm and try and relax, I know that is hard to do with the first baby and everything, but being calm is the best thing for you,
    You will get through the next 6.5 months just fine!!!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •