Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Question about rescue

I was looking on some rescue links at the available dogs and some say for cost just a donation. So what does that really mean? How much of a donation should it be? Thanks Brooke
    [I]Brooke & Barkly Ween angel pups Jake an Oscar♡

Thanks

The term adoption fee and donation are used in because rescue don't SELL dogs. All rescues are different but the donation or adoption fee goes to the Vet costs, food and housing, needed to place a dog. At the very least the dog has had a vet check-up, all vaccinations, advantage, rabies and microchiped and spayed or neutered.....they may also have had a dental and heartworm tested, as well as, blood work. ....That is for a healthy doxie! In California the charges for that is at a very minimum, $350.00. Fees are also based on the age and health of the doxies....
    Most rescues are all volunteer and the money to help the doxies comes from a donation basis, and out of peoples personal pockets. If you are a small rescue and don't have a non-profit status (which also costs a lot of money) donations are very minimal.
    So your adoption fee is to help replace the costs that the rescue has put into the dog, as well as , support a great cause.....Saving a Life!:angel7:
    Hope that helps:hearts:

Thanks

I understand that but the question I have is on one sight(I think it was southern states doxie rescue but I wont swear to that) instead of where others had an amount for all the vet stuff ect, it just said any donation. Thats what I was wondering about what it really meant and how much ect. Thanks Brooke

Thanks

It isn't SSDR I just looked. A donation would be whatever you want to give, zero to whatever. If they ask for money then it is a fee.
    Does that help or make it worse. Perhaps you can find the site again and post it, rather than trying to guess what they mean.
    Last edited by Patt; 08-22-2006 at 03:03 AM.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Actually it was SSDR, I clicked on available dogs and then under Sophie 3, and Woody under fee it says donation? Hope this helps w/ answering my questions. Brooke

Thanks

That is a very good question!! I have no idea what they mean by donation since they have a fee for everyone else. I think we have a member who is with SSDR hopefully she will see your post and give you an aswer.

Perhaps you should e-mail SSDR and ask them for sure. They have spent money on vetting both of them so I would think they would want to recoup that much at least. Sorry!
    Last edited by Patt; 08-22-2006 at 03:57 AM.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

Thanks

it could be a typo.

But i did see a rescue website that had a dog that had some health issues - no back issues, but had no teeth so even though she was in perfect health otherwise, would require a little extra TLC with feeding. Her adoption fee was a "donation" so they can continue to help other dogs.

Please don't jump for a dog just because it looks like the donation is cheapest....jump for the dog that is right for you. ALL dogs will have the same careful screening process and initial price shouldn't make you pick one over the other - they all require ongoing health and vet care.

Thanks

I got permission from Benny Archeletta, another resucer to use this on GCDR's site. It really helps explain things.

Dachshund Rescue Adoption Fees Explained
    Why does it cost so much for a used dachshund?
    Anyone who has done breed rescue work has been asked this question many times over. "If
    you're really interested in helping, you should do it for free." we are told. To which we will
    usually respond, "What have you ever received for free that was truly valuable? Or really free?"

Allow me to try and explain how the adoption fees work:

For my example, I will use the story of Jake, a 1–2 year old male standard dachshund who
    recently passed through rescue. Now, before you start thinking that I chose Jake because he
    was an extreme case, let me assure you that that is not correct. On the contrary, I chose Jake
    for my example specifically because he was not an "extreme" needs animal. The veterinary
    expenses involved in making Jake "adoptable" are actually at the very low end of the scale.

Jake originally arrived in rescue from a "backyard breeder" . Surprisingly enough, his physical
    condition was not poor when he arrived, probably due to his youth. Other animals from the
    same "backyard breeder" operation were in such poor condition that for some, euthanasia
    was the only humane decision for them. The rest are still undergoing various treatments to
    counter the years of neglect, both physical and mental. Their expenses will be much higher
    than those for Jake.

Forgetting, for the purposes of this example, the expenses in manpower, time and fuel
    involved in getting Jake the 350 miles from the backyard breeder to rescue, the numbers
    below all reflect the discounted veterinary prices which we receive from the organizations
    primary veterinary clinic. All animals passing through the rescue program receive equivalent
    vetting to bring them to "adoptable" status before they are placed into their new homes.

Another thing to remember is that the numbers below are strictly for veterinary procedures.
    They do not include such things as a collar, food, etc. that every dog needs. The collar is
    provided by the organization. Food, love and care is provided by the foster homes, the true
    backbone of any rescue operation.

Jake's adoption fee was $250.00 because of his youth. As an animal becomes older (and by
    default, less desireable to the majority of homes) the adoption fee requested is adjusted
    downwards. The expenses remain the same, but the sad reality of rescue is that no one is
    really clamoring to adopt the older dogs. And in most cases, those are actually the better fit for
    homes that currently have a pet.

Remember: vet fees vary from foster home to foster home.

Physical Exam 28.00-32.00
    D.H.P.P. vaccine 18.50-22.00
    Bordatella (kennel cough) vaccine 10.00-15.00
    Rabies vaccine 10.00-12.00
    Fecal test 15.00-18.00
    Heartworm test 26.00-30.00
    Presurgical blood screening 34.00 - 40.00
    Canine neuter 66.00-75.00 (spays are more expensive)
    Worming medicine: 10.00-15.00
    Total 217.50 - 259.00

So, what if it's on the lower end? What happens to the balance?

Well, in Jake's case it was eaten up by a fungal infection that he arrived with that we didn't
    know about. Once detected, it was treated of course, at another $25.01 in vet bills, for a grand
    total (in veterinary expenses only) of $242.51. But even if he hadn't had the infection, Jake
    would never have been a "break even" dog for us anyway. The cost of gas, time and
    manpower involved in getting him to us, along with getting him to his new home, guaranteed
    that Jake, like all rescue animals, would be a "loser" for us.

But, let's assume for a moment that Jake didn't need to be neutered and that he came fully
    vetted from a loving owner who also provided records to document that. What then? Well,
    Jake would have still needed the initial exam and the microchip, at the very minimum. The
    balance of his adoption fee? It would have been applied to another dogs expenses. Perhaps
    one of our dogs who had to have heart worm treatment (nearly 75% of dogs coming into
    rescue have to have heart-worm treatment.) That's another 200.00-300.00 in vetting. Perhaps
    some of that excess (if there is any) goes to a dog's back surgery (easily 2,000.00) that a
    shelter would've been forced to euthanize.

Take the list of services above to your veterinarian and ask them what they would charge you
    to complete everything that rescue provides for you. I think you'll agree that $200.00, $175.00,
    or $150.00 for a fully vetted pet (with records) is a bargain. Those of us who do rescue truly do
    it for our love of the animals. It's obvious there's no money to be made in rescue work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ebmw1975
    I understand that but the question I have is on one sight(I think it was southern states doxie rescue but I wont swear to that) instead of where others had an amount for all the vet stuff ect, it just said any donation. Thats what I was wondering about what it really meant and how much ect. Thanks Brooke
    It means they are having a problem adopting the dog out and have lowered the fee to donation only.

Thanks

Tonya! Too bad you are on the other side of the country.