Thanks

Default Isabel's waistline

Isabel weighs 10 1/2 pounds. The vet says she is not overweight, but she should not gain any more.

I feed her 1/4 cup of Chicken Soup for the Doglover's Soul twice a day and a large serving of greenbeans in between.

She also chews on Nylabone Edibles and Bully Sticks, but she gets no people food except a bit of raw meat here and there.

The child is dying of starvation, at least that is what she says.

If I bought the Chicken Soup for older dogs so she could eat a little more with no more calories, would I mess up her nutrition?

Thanks

I hear you- Mr. Butters is miserable since he's been on his super diet (since sunday). He is sooo pathetic- crying, whining, staring with the look. It's hard to deal with. I've been giving him broccoli as a treat and he is actually eating it- the poor, "starving" dear.
    Tracy, Mr. Butters, Rigby, Ariana Marie & Isabella Charlotte

Thanks

I would check with your vet before giving her 'senior' food. Since he doesn't want her to gain weight and she's holding her own, why change things? Seems she's doing fine on what you doing, just don't add any more and maybe up her exercise a bit which would be a big help. JMO

p.s. ALL of our puppers would like us to think they are starving and they are NOT.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

I did ask the vet about this. He said senior food would be fine for her, but I know that people more into nutrition than vets have insights about it that I don't know.

I wanted to compare notes and then decide what to do.

Thanks

I agree with Patt, if she doesn't need to lose weight, you are doing perfect!!

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patt

p.s. ALL of our puppers would like us to think they are starving and they are NOT.
    Isn't that the truth! You'd think my fuzzy Professor hadn't eaten .... ever ... the way he carries on.

I'd probably keep her on her normal diet and like Patt said maybe increase her excercise. :banana:
    Karen - Proud Hoomom to Bella "Snooter" Boo & The Professor Buster Brown

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

ITA with Patt. Keep her diet where it is and try to up her activity. :banana: BTW, she's a dachshund and no matter how much you feed her she will always think and act like she's starving. It's a dachshund thing. :D
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I guess as long as she doesn't gain any weight, I should stay doing the same as I am. She is not presently overweight. I just feel bad that she doesn't ever seem filled up, but I must adjust how I feel about that.

My poodle never acted hungry and was thin her whole life.

I think I am probably a Dachshund. LOL