Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default how do you treat anal glands?

I think Oscar needs his anals "done" again. He hadn't been licking back there at all and now he has started again. He doesn't scoot, though. His stool is firm, so I am surprised this happens.

Last time, we were at the vet anyway and she took care of it. This time, he doesn't need the vet otherwise. What do I do? Will I be charged a lot of money to take him in for this? Do I call the vet or a groomer? Our vet is quite expensive and I don't expect that she has any kind of special price for this. Should I just call and ask? Should I learn to do it myself? If so, would you advise wearing rubber gloves? Also, if I bring him in and it turns out his anals are okay, do I get charged?

TIA
    Love always,
    Kerie and Oscar (Scott and Dylan, too)

Thanks

To learn to do this techique I would have your vet or groomer teach you the correct procedure. Yes, it would be very wise to wear rubber gloves and place a small towel over the area so you do not spray yourself or the walls. Eww..... I personally would have it done by a professional but some do their own dogs. There will be a charge at your vets and the groomers, but I'm sure the vet will be more expensive also there would be a small fee of some kind if the glands are empty possibly a short office visit. I would call to find out their procedure.

Here is a couple of links to learn how to do it yourself.

Below are two sites with flash video: GRAPHIC!

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

http://www.barkbytes.com/medical/med0029.htm

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=1&SourceID=42

p.s. check out the stickie on this forum by Lisa
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

If it is your first time doing it, I would strongly recommend you go to the vet and have him show you the proper technique.

Here is a link for you to look at as well. Anal Glands

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Woo, I'd never do that myself! Petsmart has charged me $5 to do it before. I think my vet charges $15. I would just call and ask around!

Thanks

Well, I did observe very carefully when the vet did it. And then I caught a wiff. Eeeeeeeww! I'd like to get to know a groomer and decide where to take Oscar, so maybe I should go that route. He just had a bath and his nails are good. Would they do just the anals at our first appointment.

And, I decided that I have to blame someone for the anal gland issues, so since these signs were available, here goes: :lisafault :rafifault :janet:

You guys don't mind taking the blame, right?
    Love always,

Thanks

I pay $10 to have a groomer do it for me.
    Jen & Gigi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kerie, Scott and Oscar
    Well, I did observe very carefully when the vet did it. And then I caught a wiff. Eeeeeeeww!
    That's why I said good idea for rubber gloves and be sure to keep the area covered. I would call Petsmart or other grooming places and see what their procedure and fee is. Looks like Courtney gets it done for $5 which is a heck of a deal! My vet charges $32. For AG problems feeding more fiber helps. It's not a cure all but sometimes feeding 100% PURE pumpkin helps keeps things moving, I know it helps Trixie. Depending on how often Oscar has to have his AG's expressed it might be worth the $5 or $10. to let someone else do it.
    Good luck. :banana:
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

For $30 or less, I would have someone else do it. I'll see if I can find someone!!
    Love always,

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

I used to have a dog with really bad AG problems. They had to be expressed monthly when she was young. The groomer taught me how, but I really hate doing it. I had to do Miller's once when we first had him but haven't had to since. The last time they were expressed was when the vet tried to trim his toenails. She couldn't do all of his nails (his eyes roll back in his head and he looks like he's going to have a seizure), but he did express his anal glands. Eeewwww!
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

I do Isabel's pretty regularly. I had the vet teach me how.