Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Hershey is hacking

and DH is about to make me crazy. He's ready to drive to the ER clinic NOW. Hershey is"coughing" - like a dry heave hacking - he won't eat won't drink. Has been playing all day but me thinks one to many guest fed him too much garbage. I found a wonderful pile of vomit in the living room but am unsure of who it belonged to. There was evidence of too many sneaked treats, Any hints? Suggestions? Of course our vet will be closed until TUesday but I can get our tech on the phone. Just don't want to bother her (she's expecting ANY day) - I normally am the first one to the vet but my gut tells me this is just an upset tummy. Advice?
    Sandi
    Sandi aka Mama S aka keeper of da herd and da Popsicle flavor list AND Nana to Sean, Mykaylyn, Emma, Baylee, Eli, and Bryce and Mama to da brat, da boy and Brooke!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Oh, Sandi, I don't know what to tell you. I'd go with my gut instinct which seems to be that it's just an upset stomach. I would withhold food and try to get him to lick some ice cubes. Something so that he doesn't get dehydrated and watch him closely. It may well just be and upset tummy. Please keep us posted.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

How long and how frequently is he hacking? Is it a dry cough or dry heaving? (cheast or tummy?) You're a good mom and always go with your gut, so to speak. I know you are sensitive about your vet's needs, but don't let that stop you!
    Adopt a Senior!

-Renée and Pokey (1992-2008)

Thanks

Oh no Sandi,

It has now been an hour (sorry, I just got home!). If he is still coughing or you see he has vomited any more, I would take him in or at least call the tech and see if the coughing sounds serious to her.

Do you have a lot of people over? Are they smoking (if they do) around the dogs? Neither of us smoke, but I know Pogo starting hacking once when we had him in a friends house.

It could be that he vomited and it hurt his throat and that is why he is coughing. I don't know if you have a rectal thermometer (for the dogs!!) But if his temp is over 103° I would say bring him in right away.

Lots of rayz that is nothing serious!!

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

He seems to be over the worst of it. There were no smokers over - didn't even think about that! He is playing with the herd, seems more active and more interested in water. I won't feed him until tomorrow and then it will be bland stuff - no more vomiting - I'm watching him like a hawk!
    Sandi
    Sandi aka Mama S aka keeper of da herd and da Popsicle flavor list AND Nana to Sean, Mykaylyn, Emma, Baylee, Eli, and Bryce and Mama to da brat, da boy and Brooke!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Hopefully, it was just too many treats and he's past the worst. I'd just keep an eye on him now and as you said feed him bland stuff.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Thanks

Everyone has fallen for the spoiled lil brat! He gives them the L@@K and no one can resisit him. What they all don't understand is that one doing a pinch is ok but 12 doing pinches leads to tummy problems.
    Sandi

Thanks

:cheer2: :cheer2:

Great!

I have been refreshing every 5 minutes for an update. I am glad that the worse is behind him!

Can't have our little Hershey man under the weather! :heart14: :heart14:

Oh, and now that I know he is okay...I first saw the title of the thread and thought...hmmm, what is Hershey doing with the computer?? Can we say GEEK (well Geek in training!)
    Last edited by Lisa; 12-26-2005 at 11:10 AM.

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa
    :cheer2: :cheer2:I first saw the title of the thread and thought...hmmm, what is Hershey doing with the computer?? Can we say GEEK (well Geek in training!)
    I'm sure that given his need to stand on top of my desk and wear my headset and walk all over my key board - computer hacking might not be far behind Thanks for the concern! He is my baby boy and after yesterday, I just don't think I can stomach any more bad news.
    Sandi
    Last edited by Lisa; 12-26-2005 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks

Geez I just signed on and sorry to hear about Hershey but it's good to hear he's doing okay. Good idea to withhold food and don't let him drink too much water this might make him vomit again. Agree it could be upset tummy or smoke inhalation. Worse case senario is pancreatitis and the signs are nausea, vomiting, fever, adominal pain and diarrhea so keep an eye out, and if any of those conditions show up he needs a vet.

Sending feel better his way. Please keep us updated.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)