Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Please share your opinions on chew toys!

We have this nice new board here all ready to fill up with information, so I thought I would start a couple threads on common questions that would be helpful to members who might have less experience with dachshunds (and also helpful to all of us who are looking for something new!). So...

What are your dogs' favorite chews/chew toys?
    What products DIDN'T you like - and why?
    What products hold up best for strong chewers?
    For those who use natural bones, what type is safest?

:D I'll share mine here in a second...
    Kim & the Girls

With me always, Cassie & Angel

Thanks

We have had the best luck with durable Nylabones (and for some reason they prefer the Wishbones and the "chocolate" bones). The Galileo was a little too hard and they go through the Flexibles too fast. Kongs are also good if I put small treats/kibble and peanut butter in there.

They liked Bully Sticks but I didn't like the smell (will have to try the honey kind). The tendon chews (forget the name) caused vomiting. Mine eat Greenies, Boodas, and Dentabones too fast so I don't use those anymore. They didn't pay any attention to the Tire Biter bone I got them.

Their favorites are CET Hextra rawhide chews (with chlorhexidine). I buy the EXTRA-LARGE :D and give them only under very close supervision, but they just love them. Those things saved our house from being eaten (well, they did less damage anyway) when the girls were puppies.

I have never tried actual fresh bones; we bought some of the cleaned ones you can get at Petsmart and Angel gnawed on one for awhile, but those are so hard I figured she would break a tooth.
    Kim & the Girls

Jen Guest

Mmmm chewies.

Tasha is a flossie addict. She gets one every night after the last walkes (we buy them by the case, much cheaper), which one of us hides in the living room while the other has Tasha in the bedroom. She then searches the room on the "find" command till she locates it. Anyway, flossie is tendon, lasts 10-30 min, and is a spiral chew about 6" long. Not stinky.

Tasha occasional gets bully sticks (steer penis), Texas taffy (no idea, don't care to know but its meaty), icelandic fish skin chews, the occasional very thin potato chip (thinness and look) rawhide and a marrow bone about twice a month which I buy as soup bones from the grocery.

No greenies ever since they have wheat which she has a sensitivity to, pig and cow ears are bad for her digestion. The occasional rabbit ear though.

Thanks

Default Flossies - that was the name of the tendon chews...

they did like them but Angel got sick; maybe she just ate it too fast.
    Kim & the Girls

Thanks

Gunner and Petunia love the flossies and Bully stix by Merrick. They also get Texas Taffy.

Thanks

Casey and Sophie LOVE their Bully Sticks. I know they smell, but they really enjoy them.
    We don't buy Rawhide anymore, One of them got rather sick from them so they are banned from the house!
    They like the pork chews.
    I wish they had flossies here in Canada. I can't find them anywhere!

Sophie doesn't like the Dentabones :faint:( Figures! I got them for her teeth).

I give them Tartar Bones, Soup Bones and Marrow Bones.

Thanks

Mine LOVE bullysticks, but they upset Pogo's super sensitive tummy, but I still do give them once in a while.

They also adore the Icelandic Fish Chews from Sitstay.com
    They really seem to clean the teeth...only drawback - fishy kisses - ewwwww! :kiss3: :kiss3:

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

Lisa then you have to give them Yipp Yapps--LOL:rofl: after they finish that treat.

Jen Guest

I'll give Tasha a fish skin chew then send her over to give Daddy a kiss! :rofl:

She does NOT like nylabones, its not food....

Janet, there's a seller on ebay who sells flossies by the case for about $70 us. And petfooddirect.com has them by the case for $89--I wait till then send me a 25% off coupon, then order. I don't know if customs will be a problem since they're an animal product.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

Most of mine won't touch anything rubber. No kongs, nylabones or even squeekies. Scooter is the only one that will play with kongs or nylabones. Their favorite chews are raw beef rib bones. I feed them a couple of times a week. And, yes, my house looks like a graveyard most of the time. :rofl: I once picked up 12 from the study (they like to chew them while I'm on the computer). The study is only 8' x 10'! :scared1:
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue