Thanks

Default Reese is being picky...

You'd think that he was a chick with the way he eats. I swear.

It's like he's watching his weight. His activity level seems ok. Both dogs have been extra sleepy yesterday and today so far, from our vacation. They didn't have much nap time while we were away. And he's playing and everything else ok...what do you think is going on? Anything to be concerned with?

He's picking at his food, even the wet food.
    Jill - Proud Hoomom to Bailey and Reese! :hearts:

Check us out on DOGS 101!
    Just click DACHSHUND

Member of Coast to Coast Dachshund Rescue
    www.c2cdr.org

Thanks

Makes ya wonder! Is he drinking the normal amount of water?
    Karen - Proud Hoomom to Bella "Snooter" Boo & The Professor Buster Brown

Thanks

Hmm...is he usually a big eater? If not then I wouldn't worry too much. He has been off his routine. I would say offer something special to see if he eats but if he's already picky you don't want to cater to him. Just take up his food if he doesn't eat it in a reasonable amt of time. you want to be the one training him, not the other way around!

Thanks

He's probably still recouping from his vacation and will take awhile to get back into the regular routine. Try Courtney's suggestions also keep an eye on him if it continues check with your vet.
    They may be small, but you should see their hearts. Shelter/Rescue dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. The ones dealt a bad hand who responded with courage. Do not pity a shelter/rescue dog. Adopt one. And be proud to have their greatness on your side. Anon

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com (click daily to give free care and food)

Thanks

Juney is a picky eater, too, when it comes to kibble. I finally, took about 1/4 oz. of sardines and smuched it and put it into her kibble. I reduced her kibble by 1/4 oz. This might work.

Thanks

One of the reasons I feed raw (there are many but this was a factor) is because I totally catered to both dogs, they would turn their nose up and I would panick. I agree with Courtney, I TOTALLY created my picky eaters. Put the food down, if he doesn't eat it in 15 minutes pick it up and put it down again at the next meal. When he is hungry he will eat it.

Mine do LOVE sardines as well, and they are so good for them, so I do plop some into their meals at least once a week (the water packed ones).

..POGO....PIXEL.....P’NUT....PEPSI

Thanks

We do the 15 minute thing. Pick it up if he hasn't eaten. I haven't changed the food or anything, so maybe it's just because his routine is off. He always has taken his time to eat and enjoy every morsel. Bailey on the other hand, I swear I think he's gonna choke every meal time, he doesn't chew anything.

They get their mix-in's. Typically it's Wellness wet food in the morning, because I hide their pills in there. I give them 1/4 cup kibble and 1/4 of a small can of wet wellness. Then at dinner time, it's another 1/4 cup kibble and then whatever we have at the time. I alternate between pumpkin, yogurt, peas, green beans, carrots, broccoli, sometimes boiled chicken breast...they eat more veggies then me.
    Jill - Proud Hoomom to Bailey and Reese! :hearts:

Check us out on DOGS 101!
    Just click DACHSHUND

Member of Coast to Coast Dachshund Rescue
    www.c2cdr.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 700 Posts

If he just misses one meal and seems okay, I wouldn't worry. He may just be feeling the effects of vacation. If he continues to not eat or acts like he doesn't feel, then a vet check may be in order.

ITA with Courtney and Lisa, put the food down and only leave it for 15 minutes. If he doesn't eat pick it up and don't offer anything until the next regular meal time.
    Patrice and the Houston Duo

DREAM Dachshund Rescue

Jen Guest

Excellent advice given.

I didn't know about sardines. It is the fish oil? Protein? I may have to try some for Tasha even though the smell of fish makes me gag! :vomit:

Thanks

Yeah sardines are oily fish, high in Omega 3s...good for the coat plus nice and stinky. I buy them frozen at the Hispanic market but unfortunately lately they are headless and gutted. Once I found them whole...and that was awesome! Should have stocked up! Canned ones are fine too though, but I think you want to get them in water and not oil.