PDA

View Full Version : My Jack is down again

LexieLuvr
08-08-2010, 12:43 PM
August 30 of last year, Jack went down. After 8 weeks of acupuncture, pred, muscle relaxants, pain meds, and crate rest, he recovered 100%. Now he has the same issue once again, as of Friday morning. We got up and he couldn't walk. I got him in to my awesome vet Friday; she did VOM and laser therapy, which she said has had some miraculous results. I also got pred, and she said if he wasn't walking by Friday evening (which she really felt he would), to start him on the pred. Well, he wasn't walking, and still isn't. She showed me how to catheterize him, since his muscles are so tight, and I did that last night. So it's back to more treatments, meds, and crate rest -- and I could use a lot of rayz and prayers that my Velcro Boy recovers as well as he did last time! And on top of all that, my S.O.'s truck quit running, so we're sharing my truck. When it rains . . . :wtf2: (And I didn't even retire, although I'm still unemployed.)

Rae
08-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Oh.... now Jack, you are going to have to take better care of yourself sweetheart, you make your mommy sad and worried when you are wobbly!

as per usual, you jumped right on the treatment bandwagon and did everything right. I only have the one, but Duchie has been such a Wonderdoggie (tm) that I have every belief in the world that Jack will be OK soon.

:bighug: to his mommy, and :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for quick healing.

xoxoxox

vferraro99
08-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Oh, my... I'm so sorry to hear this. You got the treatment started right away, which should help Jack heal again. Is he on crate rest?

Pixie had VOM treatments before I adopted her, and they helped a lot. Sending plenty of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Jack and many :hug99::hug99: for worried mom.

Lisa
08-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Oh no!! Lots and lots of rayz for Jack. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: Please keep us updated. I am sending lots of positive thoughts.

Hugs for you. I know the stress all too well. :bighug:

oceangirls
08-08-2010, 02:01 PM
sending lots of rayz for Jack :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

lotsadox
08-08-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm so sorry, Suzanne :hug99::hug99::hug99:

Sending tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Opaleyz
08-08-2010, 03:34 PM
More :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: on the way!

HokieMom
08-08-2010, 04:31 PM
:hugs1: and :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Jack!

SaxLady
08-08-2010, 05:23 PM
I hope you don't mine that I did a quick chart reading on Jack. Have they mentioned possible surgery? If so, the planets indicate that you should wait on that. Also, you might be better off using the same treatment as before, but it might take longer this time to see results. Sending lots of healing :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for precious Jack.
Candy

Otto'sMom
08-08-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm so sorry. Otto feels his pain :(:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

LexieLuvr
08-08-2010, 08:02 PM
I hope you don't mine that I did a quick chart reading on Jack. Have they mentioned possible surgery? If so, the planets indicate that you should wait on that. Also, you might be better off using the same treatment as before, but it might take longer this time to see results. Sending lots of healing :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for precious Jack.
Candy
Oh, no. I don't mind at all! Surgery wasn't mentioned, but I've thought about it, since there seems to be this recurring issue with the same area of his back. I feel pretty sure if my vet felt it would help, she'd recommend it -- and she doesn't do back surgeries, so it wouldn't be beneficial to her if she did it. Of course, if he doesn't have surgery, it would benefit her to continue treating him as she did before. But I trust her. He did move his back toes a bit today, and I saw him try to support himself a little on his back legs this morning, so that is progress! I just wish he'd sleep longer than 4 hours at a time. He is used to sleeping with us, but I'm afraid to do that because I don't want him rolled on and making things worse, so he doesn't stay happy in his crate very long at night. I got up at 2:30 this morning and finally put him on the couch next to me and more or less slept for a few hours, waking up often to be sure he was comfortable and I wasn't hurting him. He so loves to be touching me, all the time! It's not enough for the crate to be close or me to have my fingers inside - I've tried that. Ugh. I feel so sorry for the little guy, but it's hard to do my best in caring for him when I'm exhausted myself. But we'll get through it. Thanks for all the good wishes. I'm hoping that tomorrow's treatment(s) will make a big improvement for us. I need to go to the chiro myself tomorrow; my back is killing me from the couch. We did the catheterization last night, which was pretty easy -- the hard part was keeping my S.O. from fainting while he was holding him still. My S.O. is a huge wuss!! :sosad:

lotsadox
08-08-2010, 10:32 PM
:hugs1: I understand just what you're going thru. When Bogart had back problems, I didn't get more than 5 hours sleep at a stretch for months. It was so hard to get up and go to work and try to care for him on so little sleep. I used to go home for lunch and sleep to try to keep going. Have you tried raising the crate up so he can see you? Some people have had good luck with that.

Sending more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Jack

Rileybugg
08-08-2010, 11:30 PM
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::hug99::hug99: :hug99::hearts::hearts::hearts::love98:

Alex's Mom
08-09-2010, 07:06 AM
Tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Jack, Suzanne. I SO hear you about the sleep thing. Between Alex and Wendal, it's been years since I had more than 5 hours sleep in a row, and I feel your pain. What I ended up doing many years ago when my first dachsie Maxe went down, was make up a bed on the floor to sleep with her. That kept her calm enough to keep her out of the crate at night. Of course, I was 25 years younger then and sleeping on the floor wasn't an issue! :rolleyes:

areese
08-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Many :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for you and Jack.
I had Laika's crate up on a wheeled cart so she could be right by my bed at night and in whatever room I was hanging out it. A lot of dodger's list people use a stroller...although I think even post-op Laika would escape from a stroller..don't know about Jack.
Having him on the bed or couch is kinda dicey...the potential for an accident is there, also uneven or squishy surfaces aren't as supportive for his back, which needs to be kept as immobile as possible, to let that disc heal over.
I also thought the back shouldn't be manipulated this early into his recovery...but if you had good results before....
When he recovers, you might want to look into the Laser Disc Ablation. They do it in Texas, Oklahoma and Illinois now I believe but I don't remember where. But since he's had multiple issues maybe it would be a good thing.
It's a preventative treatment that zaps the aging discs so they can't rupture. pricey, but not as expensive as surgery and not invasive although they do need to shave the dog. A few people on dodgers list have had it done and you could get more info there....

lotsadox
08-09-2010, 09:13 AM
For most dogs, you'd probably have to zip the top up on the stroller. Bogart was happy in the stroller and I didn't have to use the top often, but if it was Cash or Miller that wouldn't work at all.

Barb
08-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Sending Jack a gazillion :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and some :hug99::hug99: for an awesome mommy...... Please keep us posted......

LexieLuvr
08-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Well, he was worse today when we first went in, but after acupuncture, he began to show more deep pain and tried to hold himself up. I was told if he doesn't try to walk tomorrow, he'll need surgery ASAP, so I'm trying to set that up now. That means renting a car and driving him to Austin, because that's the place where all CTDR dogs have their surgery, she does a WONDERFUL job, and she gives a rescue discount - so that's my plan. I'm praying he'll try to walk tomorrow, but if not, off we go to Austin, and I'm hoping to hear back from the vet's office soon. More prayers, please!!

lotsadox
08-09-2010, 05:52 PM
:crossfin::crossfin::crossfin: That he's up and walking. Sending more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :pray: :pray: :pray:

Rileybugg
08-09-2010, 08:56 PM
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::crossfin::cro ssfin::crossfin::crossfin::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigra yz::bigrayz::hearts::hearts::hearts:

Alex's Mom
08-10-2010, 06:48 AM
Tons more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:. Anxiously waiting for an update!!! :hug99: and :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Barb
08-10-2010, 09:49 AM
:ditto: Paula - how is he this morning?

LUVMYGUNNER
08-10-2010, 08:34 PM
From what I heard Suzanne has him at the neuros he will probably have surgery tomorrow.
He will need prayers and rays:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

LexieLuvr
08-10-2010, 09:06 PM
OK, so I rented a car and limo'd Jack to the awesome vet in Austin today. He showed no improvement this morning, and my local vet said if he didn't make an attempt to walk, surgery was needed. So he's in Austin; it was a 3-hour drive, and not too bad in my little rented Toyota. Since my S.O.'s truck is in the shop and he had to work, he used my truck and I had to rent a car. It was kinda fun, although very stressful. I just took him there, filled out some paperwork, dropped him off, and turned around and came back home. I'm exhausted, and I think my adrenaline has worn off. I was up at 4 AM this morning, checking out his gait (of which there was none) and just dozed a little between 4 AM and when I went to get my rental car. I guess my almost-paid-off credit card will get "Jacked up" a little, but he's worth it. I miss him -- even his whining!! I should hear from the vet tomorrow after he's evaluated. If all goes well, he'll have surgery tomorrow afternoon and hopefully, come back home with me Friday, after they are assured he can pee and poo. That will be nice, too! He has no bladder or bowel control now, and it's not a whole lot of fun catheterizing him. I couldn't even get it to work this morning - ugh! He was probably ready to explode when I got him to Austin. Anyway, when I hear more from the vet, I'll let you all know. Thanks SO much for your support. In over 25 years, this is only the second dachsie I've had with back surgery, so I guess that's pretty good. Still, not fun, for any of us. :sosad:

LUVMYGUNNER
08-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Suzanne when Gunner went down, I used my carpet money, to pay for his surgery...I still don't have new carpet..Thats Ok though---he is family and worth it.
More prayers and rays:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::crossfin::crossfin ::crossfin:

lotsadox
08-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Sending more :pray: :pray: :pray: and :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: (for Jack and your wallet) and :hug99::hug99::hug99: for you.

I rented a little Toyota Corolla to go to dog show because after the parking mess last year, I refused to take either of our cars this year. It was a nice little car. Very zippy and drove pretty well!

Rileybugg
08-11-2010, 06:03 AM
:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::crossfin::cro ssfin::crossfin::crossfin::hug99::hug99::hug99::bi grayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

Alex's Mom
08-11-2010, 07:02 AM
Tons more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99::hug99:, Suzanne. Anxiously waiting to hear what the vet says!!!

vferraro99
08-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Anxiously waiting for news and sending plenty of :bigrayz::bigrayz: for Jack and :hug99::hug99: for you. Sorry about your wallet, but you will pay off your credit card again soon.

Lisa
08-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Lots and lots of rayz for Jack. I am thinking about him today. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Here are some hugs for his worried Mommy too! :hug99: :hug99:

Barb
08-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: on the way..... hope you can get some rest while Jack is in lala land :) :hug99::hug99::hug99: for a worried mommy..... We will all be waiting on pins and needles for an update !!!

LexieLuvr
08-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Well, when I dropped him off yesterday, I was told they would do imaging this morning, let me know the results, and surgery this afternoon. I couldn't wait any longer and called at 2 PM for an update. There were 3 ahead of him for imaging, so it won't be done until later and they will probably call me around 4 PM with the results, and surgery tomorrow. I surmise his condition isn't so critical that he can't wait an extra day, but it does concern me. I sure don't want his possible mobility compromised due to a delay. Anyway, that's all I know at this point. When I hear from them, I'll let you know the results.

Pat was supposed to get his truck back from the shop before noon -- he still doesn't have it yet so evidently it's still not done. He's on pins and needles x2; ugh!! Yes, my credit card balance will eventually get paid off again. I gotta do what I gotta do. I have trouble relating to those who have dogs who go down, can't afford the surgery, have the dog euthanized, then go get another one. :wtf2: I hear it too often. My Jack gives me unconditional love; he deserves the same in return.

Updated update: The lady who is very active with CTDR and suggested I take Jack there, was contacted by one of the staff at the vet clinic and she was advised that Jack still has deep pain and his chances of recovery are 80%. That's how they justified they could delay his surgery, evidently. I wish she had called me, but at least I found out something one way or another!! THAT'S SUCH WONDERFUL NEWS!!! And 80% is a good chance, IMO. WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!

The clinic contacts HER with updates, since Jack is listed as a CTDR dog, so I have to get info third-hand from her, but that's okay. I don't know if that means I won't get to bring him home Friday or not, but we'll see. Keep up the prayers!!

vferraro99
08-11-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm sorry you're still waiting (and so is Jack). I'm sending oodles more :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :crossfin::crossfin: and :hug99::hug99:. All will be okay.

HokieMom
08-11-2010, 03:48 PM
I'm keeping Jack in my thoughts and sending positive vibes his way.

We went through IVDD surgery on my son's beagle/jack about two years ago and he's made a complete and amazing recovery.

Let's hope that Jack's case is mild - and he's on his way to recovery soon!

:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz::crossfin::crossfin:

LUVMYGUNNER
08-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Thats a good chance...more rays for him:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

lotsadox
08-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the update, Suzanne. 80% is a great :cheer3::cheer3: I know what you mean about not understanding the whole "I didn't have the money for the surgery so we had him PTS" and then a couple weeks later they have another one. It's definitely :wtf2: I remember when Amanda went down. We didn't have a lot of money, but I just handed them my credit card and thought "I'll figure out how I'm going to pay for this later". There was nothing else for it.

areese
08-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Great...I am glad to hear he has deep pain still and that they are keeping up on that. Laika went in in the evening, they checked her all night and did the MRI and surgery the next afternoon but told me that if at any point she lost deep pain, the surgeon would be called and they would operate immediately.
I also got 80% odds of her walking and doing well and she's had an amazing and 100% recovery! She did not go all the way down..she was still walking when I took her in but one rear leg wasn't working. Her spinal cord was over 75 % occluded-the surgeon said he couldn't believe she was still walking and she did NOT walk after surgery for almost 5 days.

LexieLuvr
08-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Great...I am glad to hear he has deep pain still and that they are keeping up on that. Laika went in in the evening, they checked her all night and did the MRI and surgery the next afternoon but told me that if at any point she lost deep pain, the surgeon would be called and they would operate immediately.
I also got 80% odds of her walking and doing well and she's had an amazing and 100% recovery! She did not go all the way down..she was still walking when I took her in but one rear leg wasn't working. Her spinal cord was over 75 % occluded-the surgeon said he couldn't believe she was still walking and she did NOT walk after surgery for almost 5 days.
Wow - and she still is allowed to do agility, after back surgery??? Wow!

I'm surprised they're doing the imaging today and the surgery tomorrow, but I'm hoping they know what they're doing and all will be okay. My prayers are that Jack will have 100% recovery also, but I'll take whatever I can get. My last dog who had back surgery (MANY years ago) was able to run, after much recovery time, although she sort of listed to the left when she ran. It took months, but run she did! She died of cancer, poor thing, after all that.

LexieLuvr
08-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Jack's already had his surgery; the CTDR lady said her mother answered the phone and said she thought they advised it was between 7-8, there was a lot of disc material removed, and he's doing very well. She'll call tomorrow for an update after 9. WooooooooooooooooHoooooooooo - it's over!!! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

HokieMom
08-11-2010, 08:37 PM
I will think of Jack LOTS tonight! :cheer3::hug99::bigrayz:

Rileybugg
08-11-2010, 11:48 PM
:yay1::crossfin::crossfin::crossfin::bigrayz::bigr ayz::bigrayz::hug99::hug99:

areese
08-12-2010, 07:25 AM
Wow - and she still is allowed to do agility, after back surgery??? Wow!

I'm surprised they're doing the imaging today and the surgery tomorrow, but I'm hoping they know what they're doing and all will be okay. My prayers are that Jack will have 100% recovery also, but I'll take whatever I can get. My last dog who had back surgery (MANY years ago) was able to run, after much recovery time, although she sort of listed to the left when she ran. It took months, but run she did! She died of cancer, poor thing, after all that.

Laika does very little agility anymore. But running is good for them and luckily there is a wonderful dog-friendly venue, CPE, where she has the option of "jumping" 4 inches, doing courses without weave poles and contact obstacles, games where I can choose what obstacles she does do, and the opportunity for her to run the lower level courses that are shorter and not technical (so less twisty). She was very unhappy not running. I would have had to give up agility totally is she didn't have the CPE option cuz she was a MESS at trials. One pissed off dog. which surprised me..didn't think she would care that much but she did and just going for walks and getting treats or doing the practice jump didn't do it for her. she knew the difference.
Here is video of her 4 months after surgery. My wonderful agility friend, Sonja, put on the trial and she let Laika run afterwards, with the judge and bar setters out there and timers and everything like a "real" run. Bars are on the ground though.
My friend who video'd this didn't know how to seperate the two runs so I'm running a friend's dog in snooker first, then Laika.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ymLsllIkM
we are going to do NADAC this month so Laika can do tunnelers. all tunnels!!! She will have so much fun.

areese
08-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Jack's already had his surgery; the CTDR lady said her mother answered the phone and said she thought they advised it was between 7-8, there was a lot of disc material removed, and he's doing very well. She'll call tomorrow for an update after 9. WooooooooooooooooHoooooooooo - it's over!!! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

YAY!!!!! Can't wait for another update today.:cheer3:
Although it seems most neuros do the MRI and then surgery immediately while they are under for the scan, our neuro wants his dogs to wake up and recover (if it's not an emergency/loss of deep pain situation) before doing the surgery. So Laika was done that way..sedated for the scan, then the MRI was looked at, surgery planned, she woke up for a few hours then they did the surgery. I don't know why he does it that way except he said sometimes surgery can take longer than they expect and he likes them to have a break from and see how well they did after the mri.

vferraro99
08-12-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm so glad your worries are over for the time being. It will take recovery time, but it will no longer be "what if?" Sending mega healing fast :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Jack and a couple more :hug99::hug99: for you!

Alex's Mom
08-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Such great news...I'm thrilled with this!!! And waiting for the update... Tons and tons of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: and :hug99::hug99:

LexieLuvr
08-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Jack was sitting up this morning, and he ate, at my 10 AM update. Later today, he was standing, and he is coming home with me tomorrow!!! I can't believe he's on his feet already - that's just incredible, IMO. Thanks a million to all of you for your support, rayz and prayers. They worked again!! :hug99:

Barb
08-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Wonderful news :yay:

LUVMYGUNNER
08-12-2010, 10:35 PM
So glad he gets to come home Suzanne. He is realy doing good.:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

areese
08-12-2010, 10:40 PM
:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::cheer3::c heer3:

lotsadox
08-12-2010, 11:37 PM
:cheer3::cheer3: That's the best news all day :cheer3::cheer3:

vferraro99
08-13-2010, 09:40 AM
How wonderful! This is the kind of news I like to see/hear :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

AgileOllie
08-13-2010, 09:49 AM
WOOOHOO!!!:cheer3::cheer3:

LexieLuvr
08-14-2010, 09:46 AM
He's home!!! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: I'll try to post pics later. He did pee voluntarily a couple of times, but I still had to cath him last night -- and watch my S.O. pass out while holding him and looking at his stitches. I live with a wuss!! In the meantime, using a bathrobe belt for a "sling" to hold up his legs is KILLING my back, and I can't see buying one for a short time. Any bright ideas??? Help!!! Does someone have one I can borrow? I'll be happy to pay postage and return it promptly!!! :crossfin::hug99:

Lisa
08-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Go to the drug store and buy a tensor bandage to use as the sling! It works great and will give you all the length you want so you don't kill your back.

In a few days you will need to put a leash on him too, Pogo always wanted to bolt :rolleyes:

Did they give you exercises to do with Jack?

So happy your boy is home! :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

areese
08-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Why is the bathrobe belt killing your back? too short?? Dodger's people suggest using an ace bandage...the kind you wrap a sprain with...they are long and a bit stretchy. I just cut a piece of fabric for Laika. I know not everybody has fabric laying around though but you could cut an old blanket or sheet or something. I guess boys are a bit more tricky, huh? Cuz of the peen thing..
Rob was really worried about looking at Laika's incision too..he asked me if she could wear a shirt. But that was before she came home...when she was here it didn't bother him. She had staples and since she was at the hospital for 5 days, it had already started healing I think..looked very nice and neat like someone installed a zipper on her back!
Wait until he really starts going and you gotta use a harness as well as the sling!! takes some coordination..but that's gonna happen soon!!
When he peed, was it truly "on purpose"? I mean...was he outside sniffing or that sort of situation or was it just in his crate?

vferraro99
08-14-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm so glad Jack is back home where he belongs, but I'm also dumbfounded as to why the bathrobe belt killing your back... either it is too short, or you are too tall. An ace bandage should work just fine, and I agree with Lisa, if Jack is feeling well he may want to bolt and the bandage will not hold him, you need to leash him.

Sending plenty of :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for a full and quick recovery.

LUVMYGUNNER
08-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Suzanne I mentioned this to you in another post--get 2 cheap leashes use the loops to put his hind legs together and knot the rest of the leash and you can hold him like that--you should be able to hold your hand down at a comfy fit, tie the knot there.... When you get a chance you can cut the rest off and sew it together a few times, I did not have any luck with scarfs, bangages, belts, etc.---Thats basically all there is to a sling...I know I posted Gunners sling and how we did it with him, look at them and if you don't understand what I'm talking about sent me your phone number and I will get back with you. I paid about 35 dollars for his sling---best investment ever.
By the way we also put Gunner in his harness and leash plus the sling...there are pictures posted of this somewhere....The first month he did ok in just the sling after that he took of one time when he heard a dog, with me running after him--that was no fun---he was fast...

lotsadox
08-14-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm so glad he's home :cheer3::cheer3:

I agree with everyone else. I a short while you'll need to put a leash on him. I had to do that with Amanda and my friend whose dachshund recently went down had to do that with hers. They tend to think they're fine and can do anything! :shocked: I even had to watch 15 year old Bogart when he started feeling good he wanted to bolt! The first time he tried to run I didn't know whether to be excited (he ran!:cheer3:) or appalled (he ran :shocked:)

areese
08-14-2010, 11:33 AM
pic of one made with two leashes. handles are put together and wrapped with vet wrap.
http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/cratesupplies/Figure8.jpg

Here's one made from an old sweatshirt (directions)
http://www.freewebs.com/dmroster/lyonpuff.html

sling/harness combo
http://dodgergallery.ourdogs.net/recovery/slingwalk

LUVMYGUNNER
08-14-2010, 02:25 PM
http://dodgergallery.ourdogs.net/recovery/slingwalk
We did the above except I used the sling we bought...The first few weeks we only used the sling--he did not do to good for a few weeks.

You realy don't need the figure 8...all you need is the 2 handles for his legs--this way he is free to poo and pee, and tie the 2 leashes together for the hold, you can also sew them together and use the middle for a handle, you can also use a wrap to make the handle in the middle...I made one like that for a friend, and her vet loved the idea....I will try to look for Gunners pictures and sent them to you...When i don't work anymore I will make some for my vet to give away...

LexieLuvr
08-14-2010, 05:04 PM
I doubled the bathrobe belt because I was afraid the single belt length would hurt him. AND when I use just one under him (no matter what it is) it covers his penis and he can't pee. I tried the belt and a scarf from one of my coats (about the same length), put one around each of his legs, and that worked better. He's already walking a LOT, and it's a challenge to keep up with him even with the "sling" on him. When he peed, he was outside sniffing, so I'm hoping it was intentional. He hasn't peed in his crate at all. When I cath him, he reflexes, so I believe he has some feeling. He also can stand on his back feet briefly and hold himself upright on 4 legs. I suspect in a few days I'll have trouble holding him back and overdoing it!! I may have to get another Ace bandage (is that a tensor bandage???) so I have two of them, or try what Irma suggested with two leashes. We were given no therapy exercises, but the after-care instructions said to contact a physical therapist at the vet clinic where he had surgery. Uh - I don't think we're going to drive to Austin for therapy. I'm hoping my local vet can give me some exercises for him. My last dachsie who had back surgery (20 years ago or so) never had any therapy, and she did quite well - in time.

areese
08-14-2010, 05:21 PM
I wonder if you could help him finish once he pees..maybe he's having trouble totally emptying. So once he's going, if you could push on his bladder, maybe you wouldn't have to cath him. Cuz I imagine that will get more difficult as he regains function and feeling.
I was given passive exercises that were started as soon as Laika came home. "Bicycling" her rear legs 10-20 times a few times a day. having her stand and pressing down lightly on her hips. I also (per Yolanda) had her standing at her bowl to eat (although I stood over her to prevent her leaving). I don't remember the others.
She didn't require any PT. Surgeon said walking was PT enough and we did that starting at 2 weeks post op, soon as her staples were out. Just short walks (5 minutes) and gradually extended them, moved to walking up and down hills and over objects (like a broomstick on the floor) to get her picking her feet up. I did crate her aside from the walks for 4 weeks, then she was out closely supervised and only on carpet. Then just crated when we weren't home. She improved daily once she was walking regularly....and improved quite quickly too!!

LUVMYGUNNER
08-14-2010, 06:48 PM
I have been so busy with my mom--she fell and we don't know yet if she has a broken leg or hip.....I will try to find the picture of Gunner with the harness and sling and post it--its akward to do, but you do get used to it...Gunner didn't walk for a while even though his legs were trying to move...we had to walk his with his hind legs an inch of the ground.
We waited for a couple of days, then did bicycle excersises with Gunner--, and got him a pool for excersise...again---don't do any off it, unless the vet says its ok already...Do you know if she did fenetration? I know its a controversial thing some do some don't...

Barb
08-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Sounds like he is doing really well - that is great !!! Once you figure out the way the sling works best for you - it will be easy - LOL !!!

HokieMom
08-14-2010, 07:39 PM
When my son's beagle/jack had IVDD surgery, I took off and went down to SC to 'grand -dog sit' while he was at work. I remember taking Mr. Higgins out and needing to help 'aim his stream' so he wouldn't pee on his chest!

The things we do for those we love - and we don't mind at all!

Keeping Jack in my prayers and thoughts!

lotsadox
08-14-2010, 11:30 PM
i used a leash on Amanda on her collar (this was before I knew about harnesses) to keep her from running off and then the sling to support her. I had to do PT myself. There were no physical therapy places for dogs then. I had to take her out of the crate and have her stand for a short period, then gradually longer. And I had to push down on her hind legs while she stood to strengthen them. I also had to swim her which was fun because we didn't have a pool and Amanda being a mix was too large to swim in the bathtub so we snuck her over to the pool at the townhouse we owned and were renting out. We swam her in the kiddie pool at night in JANUARY. :shocked: I had to get in the pool with her and it was really cold. Then I'd wrap her in a towel and dash for the warm car. Luckily, when I had to swim Bandit, we had moved to the house we are in now with the garden tub so I could swim her there.

LexieLuvr
08-15-2010, 02:45 PM
:thankyou: all for the therapy suggestions! Irma: I hope your mom is okay!!!

Jack is slowly progressing; sometimes he pees voluntarily and sometimes he doesn't. Expressing him is nearly impossible, and everyone who has tried it says the same thing. I won't do any type of therapy, of course, until his sutures are removed and I consult with my local vet here. The clinic called me to check on him even before we got home. Did I tell you that before? That's some kind of great, caring service! I didn't even get to meet Dr. Caplan or give her a hug, but I do plan on sending a thank you card.

I'm still caring for the 3 abandoned dogs down the street, although someone has now moved into the house. They are very nice and are caring for the dogs, too, but do not want to keep them. I told them of my plan and they will work with me until I can get the dogs to the H. S. Oh, and unfortunately, there are also PUPPIES under the house! I am not surprised, but was hopeful there were none. I'll deal with that as best I can. Jack comes first. It will all work out, one way or another. Thanks again for all of your support and suggestions!!! :thankyou::thankyou::hug99:

lotsadox
08-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Wow! That's a great vet! :thumbsup: It sounds like you and Jack are doing well. Sending :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: that that continues.

LexieLuvr
08-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Yes, that is a GREAT vet clinic! Jack is doing SO well! He jumped away from me yesterday morning and caught a toad (yuck!!) and a couple of grasshoppers. I'm still using a bathrobe belt and a coat scarf, and had to put a collar on him so I could keep him on a leash so he doesn't jump away from me again. He is LIFTING HIS LEG TO PEE!!! I'm so thrilled -- only dachsie lovers would appreciate pee celebrations. I only cath'd him once last night, and he peed a bucket this morning, so I'm very pleased with his progress. And this morning, he kind of hunched up to poop, which is a first for that, too!! I got a pic of his back and stitches -- see below. Thanks again for all the rayz and prayers - he is doing SO well! I'll have to hold him down in another day or two. His back legs are making "swimming" motions so I know he's trying to walk. Here's my boy.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j302/suzyq22_01/Jackback.jpg

lotsadox
08-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Ooooh, the swimming motion is a good thing. He's got feeling back there and is trying to walk. :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: I love the football look in the pic. It sounds like you are both doing very well :cheer3::cheer3:

vferraro99
08-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Ooooh, the swimming motion is a good thing. He's got feeling back there and is trying to walk. :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3: I love the football look in the pic. It sounds like you are both doing very well :cheer3::cheer3:

:ditto::appl::appl::appl: Couldn't have asked for a better report!!:cheer3::cheer3:

LUVMYGUNNER
08-17-2010, 06:06 PM
What a great Update Suzanne, he looks good.:bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz:

LUVMYGUNNER
08-27-2010, 09:44 PM
How about an Update???

Otto'sMom
08-27-2010, 10:08 PM
:bigrayz::bigrayz:Continued. Just wanted to add what I've been using for Otto: I had ordered these belly band wraps a long time ago, I can't even remember who for, but they're long stretchy ace bandage like thing. I fold it in half and place it right behind Otto's ample kickstand, and he has no trouble going and doesn't pee on himself.

LexieLuvr
08-28-2010, 02:59 PM
I made a great sling out of two leashes and some fleece - worked like a champ and cost less than $3. (I got the leashes free from my vet.)

Jack's stitches are out and he's walking without the sling, although still somewhat wobbly. He's supposed to be on a leash for a month, and that will be Sept. 8, so he's still crated most of the time and doing GREAT!! That surgeon sure knew what she was doing. He's even scratching his head with his back leg - and he lifts his leg to pee and "hunches" to poop. He also thinks he's well enough to pounce on grasshoppers and chase toads -- not yet. Thanks for all the RAYZ!!! :thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

HokieMom
08-28-2010, 07:51 PM
I remember that my son's beagle/jack looked like he was learning to walk in high heels after his surgery. His little toes would 'knuckle under' as he was learning to use those back feet again.

To see Mr. Higgins now, you'd never even know he'd had IVDD surgery - he is as good or better than new!

Go Jack! You're gonna do just fine!

lotsadox
08-28-2010, 10:43 PM
That's the best news all day, Suzanne :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

Go, Jack :cheer4:

vferraro99
08-29-2010, 09:21 AM
You had Jack in one of the best hands in terms of IVDD surgery. Dr. Caplan is famous all over for her success with those surgeries. I'm so glad Jack is doing so well :cheer3::cheer3:

Barb
08-29-2010, 10:34 AM
:yay: for Jack !!!

LexieLuvr
08-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Although he's still kind of weak and wobbly in the back legs, he's using his back leg to scratch his ear! He also rolls on the grass a lot outside and "scratches" his back -- I guess the stitches are healing and they itch. Yes, Dr. Caplan is a miracle worker, IMO. I sent her a "Thank You" card for her wonderful work; I'd hoped to give her a hug when I was there, but never laid eyes on her. She called me when I had a question and said she thinks her destiny is to save dachsies' backs so they can walk again. I couldn't agree more. She's awesome! Jack's still on leash until at least September 8, but I can't tell you how thrilled I am with his progress. Like someone said earlier, the worst part is getting them to take it slow. Oh, yes, that's for sure! He's determined to pounce on grasshoppers and chase toads and it's hard to hold him back sometimes. He's still got a lot of strength. I've been using my Cetacea harness on him, because my regular "hug-a-dog" harnesses go right over his stitches, and that's not good. I highly recommend the Cetacea harness for a dog with back surgery -- I had a collar on him for a while, but didn't like using that at all!

Thanks to ALL of you for the prayers and rayz - he certainly has been recovering beautifully!:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou: