PDA

View Full Version : Buddy is hurt (IVDD?). What to do?

Ivan
08-17-2011, 02:33 AM
Injured doxie. Need advice!
Our Buddy (Yolanda knows him as Pete) had a nasty incident tonight.

Heading outside for a stroll, he just bolted away and I lost grasp of his leash. WTF!?! He has a very strong prey drive, but bolting is very much out of character! He ran to the front yard, in the dark, and I tried in vain to catch up. He ran under the tree, but I went around it. That's when I saw the skunk he was after, on my side of the tree, and with its tail raised and its back facing the dog. Oh, the smell. Meanwhile the dog was running fast, straight at the skunk, in full attack. They were under 3 feet apart & closing fast as I got there, so in quick desperation I reacted by lunging with my foot to distract the dog from his attack. Not a hard kick, but obviously it was not soft enough. There was no time to think. Yes, it stopped the attack, and he was only partially sprayed. Whew!

But he immediately yelped and went into a squat. He whined a bit as I quickly led him via leash away from the skunk. At first I thought it was fear or anxiety, but now I saw that he was limping. The kick must have injured him. He would not put weight on that hind leg, but held it up an inch. So I carried him inside, and we gave him a bath.

Touching him anywhere doesn't elicit any negative response, at all. A stoic dog. I hope it's only a bruised muscle. But for a dachsie, I fear the worst: IVDD. After his bath, he still favors that leg. So we crated him, and soothed him. He remains in his crate. No whimpers. Seems otherwise normal. Mostly sleeping. But definitely favoring that leg when he moves around. He's not biting it, just lifting it when he stands. We gave him a doggie Prednisone pill to reduce swelling, just in case. I think we better visit the vet in the morning.

Could this be IVDD? Holding a sore leg up doesn't seem to fit IVDD description?

I feel terrible! Just awful. Worried sick. I hope I didn't accidently hurt his back. And what's a better way to stop him attacking the skunk?

...Ivan

Lisa
08-17-2011, 06:39 AM
I think it is just an injured leg. He still might need a vet visit in the morning, but I really don't think it is IVDD (again, I am not a vet!!).

IMO, there would not have been enough time from the incident for the disc to rupture and put pressure on the spine and him to show neurological defects.

That being said, if he is in pain, you will still need to follow the same protocol so the injury can heal. Meds, crate rest and time.

Lots of rayz. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

I also just wanted to add, if you have any guilt, please don't. You did what you had to do to protect him.

Yolanda
08-17-2011, 07:34 AM
Ivan, Do not fell terriable at all. You reacted and "saved" Budddy. with his prey drive no telling when he would have went.

I suspect it is jus a muscle or somehtiing like that. WATCH him and keep him very still. s Lisa said ".. That being said, if he is in pain, you will still need to follow the same protocol so the injury can heal. Meds, crate rest and time...."

I know you well enough to say, if he needs it you will get him seen. Go=ive him lots of praise and kisses from me.

BTW, how is Holly?

lotsadox
08-17-2011, 08:57 AM
I agree with everyone. I think it's probably a strained muscle but does warrant a vet visit. A few months ago, Miller was playing with Scooter and hurt his back leg. I thought it was IVDD. Luckily, it wasn't but I pretty much had do the same as for IVDD. Keeping him confined, giving him meds and letting time do it's stuff. I didn't have to keep Miller quite as quiet as for IVDD, just no running, jumping or playing, but it was the same idea. Keep him quiet and let him heal.

Ivan
08-17-2011, 01:43 PM
This morning Buddy is so much better. Whew! Yay! :cheer3:
I carried him outside for a pee. He stands nicely erect on all 4 legs and walks using all 4's. Good that he's able to walk on it, mostly like normal, but he still favors it somewhat. After peeing, he scratched the ground with only 3 legs & stopped before using his 4th leg. Hmm. Sore? And today he's content to stay in the crate, which is unusual. But then again, I sat beside it stroking him for most of the night. That seemed to calm him. Poor thing. Oh, and that (garage) side of the house smells. Yuck!

Not sure the vet can do anything at all? Perhaps we should continue the Prednisone for another day or so? He's gonna be confined to quarters for the rest of this week (at least). He's gonna be cranky!

Yolanda, your sweet little Holly is doing swell. She's the "golden child". Unlike Buddy, she doesn't mess with skunks, doesn't nip visitors (human or canine), and doesn't chase the cat. She's still learning to pee outside. Mistakes are less frequent now. Holly still has big-time separation anxiety whenever we leave the room, even for a moment out of eyesight. But at least nowadays she sleeps through the night, peacefully. That's awesome. I'd say Holly is totally a devoted mama's girl. I'll do, in a pinch, but I'm not the mama. Good news is that Holly coughs much less these days, cuz she's less stressed out, and cuz vet has her on low-dose steroids. Her throat & lungs are lined with scar tissue, and she coughs mostly when stress & anxiety kicks in. She deals OK with her ailment. But she loves belly rubs and going for long walks. And being with mama.

OTOH, Buddy is totally devoted to me, and vice versa. He and I have bonded with many long walks together & by snuggling. He's my boy. I so much regret accidentally hurting him. Yup, still a bit unruly, but is learning to socialize, even with bigger dogs. Dunno yet about skunks? He learns tricks faster than Holly, but he doesn't always come from afar when called. Headstrong, like me? Oh, kids. They're lovable, but always a work-in-progress. These 2 are great dogs!

lotsadox
08-17-2011, 01:58 PM
The vet may not be able to "do" anything, but he/she can give you a diagnosis and course of treatment. Even if it's only confinement for a number of weeks, at least you will know what is wrong and that you are treating it correctly. Right now, you're guessing which usually isn't the best way.

Yolanda
08-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Wonderful update and continue on. :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

YO

Ivan
08-17-2011, 04:53 PM
More good news: This aft, Buddy stood on his hind leg when peeing! First time using the left leg, then the other. No problemo. That's my boy! Then he began hopping about with happiness. No sign of malaise.

I never thought I'd be so happy and excited about a dog raising his leg to pee. Who knows? Maybe next, you'll be seeing newspaper articles about Buddy & me howling together at the moon & barking at the neighbors. Hoooowwwl.

RDavidP
08-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Hey Buddy. This is Bella. I am also a Yolanda adoptee. You look alot like me with your coloring, except you hair is longer. I think you look handsome. Hope you feel better.

:hearts:
Bella

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/DavidPugh/Dachshunds/IMG_2497.jpg

Lisa
08-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Awesome update! :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3: :cheer3:

lotsadox
08-18-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm glad he's feeling better. Is he still on the pred?

Ivan
08-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Yes, we gave him his 2nd prednisone pill last night with his dinner.
Today he seems perfectly normal. (begs for a punch-line, duznit?) We are SOOO relieved he's back to his bouncy self.

A good side-effect of this whole episode is that it also taught Buddy not to fear the crate. Now he willingly went back in! Yeah! I'm reasonably sure it's the same dog, not a cute Bella wearing her mustache disguise.

BTW, this Kong dog crate is nice, and its sliding doors are handy:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4205612

Lisa
08-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Glad he is doing better with the crate too.

Kong is making some awesome products lately. We picked up their soft e-collar when Pix was injured and it was fantastic. He could get to his wound, but he could sleep and get comfortable no problem with his "cone of shame" on. The only downside was Pixel is so tiny, he kept tripping on it, so we stapled the sides. :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3156/5813796846_df2f39f1c4.jpg

lotsadox
08-18-2011, 11:39 AM
The reason I asked about the pred is that it can mask any pain or problems. When Bogart was on pred, he thought he was Wonderdoggie and could do anything when in reality he was far from healed. You might want to continue to keep him confined to make sure that whatever was wrong is really healed and he doesn't just feel fine because of the drugs.

Yolanda
08-18-2011, 12:02 PM
As I always say having a dog use a crate is a good thing. You just never know when you really need to use one.

BTW, I like the Kong crate it is great - just a little more pricy.

Ivan now we just need more pictures of the doggies. :love98::love98::love98:

Ivan
08-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Good point about masking the pain. I recall that held true for me too, and I promptly reinjured myself cuz of it (& then neighbor nurse teased me about not following orders). It sure is tempting to let him loose. You're right that he likely needs more quality crate time to fully heal. Oh, he's gonna be cranky about that.

Lisa, Pixel looks so cute & happy in that funny collar.

Ivan
08-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Ivan now we just need more pictures of the doggies.

You saw these?

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5190159792228b82&sc=photos&Bsrc=EMSHOO&Bpub=SN.Notifications&id=5190159792228B82!103&sff=1#cid=5190159792228B82&id=5190159792228B82!133&sc=photos (https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5190159792228b82&sc=photos&Bsrc=EMSHOO&Bpub=SN.Notifications&id=5190159792228B82%21103&sff=1#cid=5190159792228B82&id=5190159792228B82%21133&sc=photos)

lotsadox
08-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Good point about masking the pain. I recall that held true for me too, and I promptly reinjured myself cuz of it (& then neighbor nurse teased me about not following orders). It sure is tempting to let him loose. You're right that he likely needs more quality crate time to fully heal. Oh, he's gonna be cranky about that.

Lisa, Pixel looks so cute & happy in that funny collar.

I just went back and looked and the vet had Miller on restricted movement meaning no running, jumping or playing for 3 weeks. Normally, back problems are more restricted than that and for 6 - 10 weeks. Since I did have a diagnosis of a leg problem, I did the 3 weeks of restricted movement and was very strict about it. Miller did fine and has had no recurrence of the problem for nearly a year so it's definitely worth the work involved.

Sending :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: for Buddy.

Ivan
08-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Buddy is no longer confined to his crate, and no longer on prednisone. He seems perfectly NORMAL. Yay! He was VERY happy to be out. He ran high speed laps back & forth from kitchen to family room, jump on the couch, back off couch, back to far end of kitchen, and so on! Wow. You'd think he was a puppy. Good to have him back, underfoot. Yipee!

LexieLuvr
08-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Letting him jump up and down from the couch is just asking for back problems! He needs to learn how to use a ramp, or keep him off the couch entirely. I'm glad he's feeling better!!

Ivan
08-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Yes, ramps are a good idea. It's a low sofa, but for the last few years, the middle sofa cushion has been kept on the floor as a dachsie step, so it's only 6 inches onto the cushion & 6" again onto the sofa. We inserted a plastic board to stiffen the "step". See above photos of Buddy & Holly sleeping on the yellow sofa, although the floor cushion isn't visible in those.