PDA

View Full Version : Pixel running around

Lisa
11-29-2011, 09:07 AM
I made this yesterday for Mama S. Pixel was completely down on his left side in June after his second round of IVDD. He always maintained bladder function, but for 2 days little pooplets would fall out of him :conf4:

In some ways I wish I took video of him when he was down. Just to show people how far he has come. But seeing them in pain, and struggling to walk is devastating, and not something I wanted to capture.

Conservative care can work for leaking discs (which is different than a blown disc). You have to stick to the program....crate rest, drugs, crate rest, time, crate rest, acupuncture/laser, oh and crate rest, just in case I failed to mention it.

Please ignore how messy the pup-port is!! Rafi just sealed it this weekend, so everything kind of got dumped in there until it gets moved to the garage this weekend.

_WGWnNb17iI

lotsadox
11-29-2011, 09:59 AM
That is so awesome, Lisa! He's doing so well. What an inspiration! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

Alex's Mom
11-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Now that is a happy boy!! :love98: Really enjoyed seeing that, Lisa, on oh so many levels!! :hug99:

areese
11-29-2011, 10:21 AM
OMG I forgot how short his legs are!!!!
Lovely to see him doing so well and soooo happy. not to mention freaking CUTE!!! :love98:

RustysMom
11-29-2011, 10:58 AM
gosh, I think I watched this like 5 times! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

He looks great Lisa! and is adorable as always :sillylove:

Ivan
11-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Look at Pixel go! He's running around like a normal doggie. No hint of being down. Yay!

You have a pup-port? Is that like a carport for the puppies, so they can go outside w/o you having to first shovel the backyard? Excellent thinking!

I like your nice ramp, too. Rafi must be a great handyman. I think we need a similar ramp for our back deck, which has just 2.5 steps but they're a big problem for Buddy, some days.

Lisa
11-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Here is Rafi's ramp design...

http://doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=31383&highlight=ramp

Yes, we bought a carport and put it up in our backyard. It has evolved over the years, from just a grass floor to now pebbles and pine wood chips.

This was from the first year we did it.

http://doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=21977&highlight=port

alfina
11-29-2011, 12:46 PM
That is just fabulous to see! Go Pixel!

Ivan
11-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Both ideas are awesome! So is Pixel. He's quite the energetic one. No signs of distress at all. How long was he confined to his crate?

lotsadox
11-29-2011, 01:12 PM
I had to come watch that again. It's so good to see the BLB doing so well and being so frisky. Go Pix! :cheer3::cheer3:

Lisa
11-29-2011, 01:13 PM
He was on 8 long, painful, vocal weeks of crate rest. We did buy a stoller (mobile elevated soft sided crate :rotfl: ) this time around which made life so much easier.

Along with his prescribed meds (Metacam and Tramodol with a hint of methocarbamol - for the first 3 days only) Pixel did acupuncture and Chinese herbs. We also added low dose vitamin E to his daily schedule, which he will be on for life. Finally, we also did Adequan shots, which he now gets every other month.

After week 3 we saw a physio therapist, she gave us daily controlled exercises, to keep his nerves connected and his muscles strong. He seemed to get better faster, this time around - even though his paralysis was worse. [For non DLCers just reading] controlled exercise is not letting your dog out of the crate and letting him run around. You do a series of things, that a professional shows you the proper technique and after each controlled exercise session, the dog goes back in his crate. IMO, it seemed to tire him out a bit, which means he wasn't using his energy to bark and jump against the crate, which can't be good for him either!

LexieLuvr
11-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Jack had back surgery a little over a year ago; we did 10 weeks of crate rest, almost totally, then began to slowly give him more and more exercise. Now he bounds over the yard like a dang rabbit. I worry about him re-injuring himself, but quality of life says a lot so I just let him be himself. You would NEVER know he was paralyzed a little over a year ago.

bsquared
11-29-2011, 10:25 PM
That video made my heart go :love98:!!!!!! Go, Pixel, go!! :cheer3:
Awesome...simply awesome!!!! :hug99:

Tex
11-30-2011, 12:11 AM
Such a great video!!!!!:cheer3:

I should take one of Jax...

Tanya
11-30-2011, 02:48 PM
This video made me smile so big! :) I'm glad the BLB is doing so much better!!! :cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

You have to stick to the program....crate rest, drugs, crate rest, time, crate rest, acupuncture/laser, oh and crate rest, just in case I failed to mention it.

Don't forget the love, patience, and great care you and Rafi provided to get Pixel back on his feet! :hug99: